Fusion - Merge together

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

proxyzor

Fusion - Merge together

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi,

I need help in Fusion, how it is done?
I got a black background, that is a polygon inside the frame. Then I got the first merge that is the iphone frame, and the second merge is the media (video) that is played inside the frame that I put together.

Now I want to position all at the same time (Background, Merge1, Merge2). What nodes are for that, or how I must connect them?
So I can animate all together, the whole phone comes from the left, it shows animation and goes back.

Please see the attachment, thank you.
Attachments
Merge iphone.png
Nodes
Merge iphone.png (61.23 KiB) Viewed 490 times

raphaelgoesm

Re: Fusion - Merge together

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 4:12 pm

Just put a transform node in the end, before MediaOut.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 8:43 am

What Raphael said. Answer is actually contained in your own question:
proxyzor wrote:I want to position all at the same time (Background, Merge1, Merge2)…

You merge this, that and then third thing, and THEN want to position it all together. Since data flows downstream, THEN comes after all these nodes. As for how to find a node that does what you need, there is not much else than start learning the functionality of different nodes from either manual or some tutorials. Or simply trying them out yourself. Usually their names imply pretty well what they are for, but if you don’t know the right keywords it is hard to search for them at first.
I do stuff.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 4:07 pm

although many nodes can do multiple operations at once, when first learning fusion, it may be easier to think of every node in the chain, as a new operation you want to perform.
As Hedrick was saying:

I want a black background. Add a background node. (Node 1)
I want to bring in a phone shape. add a loader node, (Node 2)
add a merge node to merge them together. (Node 3)
I want to add some footage. Add a loader node (Node 4)
I want to put the footage inside the phone shape..add a merge node. (Node 5)
I want to resize the footage. Add transform tool after Node 4, before Node 5. (Node 6)
I want to move everything around. Add a transform tool after the last node in the branch (Node 7)
I want to blur the footage. Add a blur node after node 4. (Node 8)
I want to...add a node...(you get the idea)

Yes the above is a very simplistic way of doing things, and is not meant as a "this is how I would do your above example"...just a workflow thought. As you learn, you will see that some nodes can be removed, and allow other nodes to do multiple functions. For example Node 6's operation of resize could be performed by the Merge node in Node 5. Size in the merge node will affect the fg operation...but again, as you are learning your way around the nodes, I would start by doing everything in order, and as its own node. Then as you play, you will start to streamline your process.

Return to DaVinci Resolve