Resolve freezing every few seconds

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kalen Rixon

Resolve freezing every few seconds

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 5:26 pm

I'm really at my wits end right now.

Issue: I am running the latest Resolve Studio 17.3.2 and the program is freezing to any input for about 2 seconds every 3 seconds. For a few seconds, the program works normally and quickly. Then, for no reason that I can find, it completely locks up. This occurs while the program loads, while I am selecting/creating a project, and in the actual working interface.

Solutions tried:
- Updating graphics drivers to the latest version (Nvidia Studio)
- Unplugged all usb devices aside from mouse/keyboard.
- Restarting PC
- Deleting ClipCache folder
- Uninstalling and reinstalling Resolve, including all components
- Doing a COMPLETE clean reinstall after using jvtools to get rid of every mention of Resolve/Blackmagic. (note that this required me to reactivate my software and took me through the new-user tutorial).
- Reverting to a restore point a few days ago (Oct 12th), when I knew the program was working normally.
- Created a local user account on the same PC.

Nothing has worked. Some looked like they might for about a minute, but the issue remained. There are no heat spikes, and everything is cooled by a custom loop that keeps the whole system around 36-40C.

PC Specs:
- Windows 10, Most recent update (don't have the number right now, but it is fully updated on the standard non-insider track as of October 14th 2021)
- CPU: Threadripper 2950x
- RAM: 64GB DDR4
- Motherboard: MSI MEG Creation x399
- Video Card: Nvidia 2080Ti
- OS Installed on an PCIE 3.0 SSD
- The only spinning HDD array is a network server.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve freezing every few seconds

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 7:30 pm

Please capture and post a link to logs as per the FAQs.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve