PNG Workflow - Linking Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tmeerakker

PNG Workflow - Linking Issue

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 11:41 pm

Wondering if I could receive some assistance from this forum. I been handed an amination project conformed in the Avid MC. The issue is when attempting to link the media in Resolve using the supplied MC .aaf file I get a link error message - 'The clip "PP_101_003_0001.png" failed to link because the timecode extents do not match any clip in the Media Pool'. This message appears for every edit.

On the MC -
- The source clips are a .png format
- The source reel name on the timeline is 'PP_101_003_0001'. In the scene folder there are 254 frames.
- The source timecode starts at 1hr for every scene.

In Resolve
- The source name in Media tab is 'PP_101_003_(0001-0254)'.
- The source timecode starts at 0hrs for every scene.

Is my issue that the reel names are different? Is it the T/C? Having said that does the PNG format support embedded timecode? I have tried linking by changing to frame count linking and no difference. I am at a loss and starting to pull my hair out which I do not any to spare. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanking everyone in advance. Tony M.

Uli Plank

Re: PNG Workflow - Linking Issue

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 7:53 am

You could try to set the TC to 0 hours for Avid too. And then, reel/tape field should be identical for identical clips.
If that doesn't help, the only way around might be a high-quality codec export from the Avid, like DNxHR at the highest setting. I don't think PNG supports TC.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

tmeerakker

Re: PNG Workflow - Linking Issue

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks for the reply Uli. Will look closer at setting MC source TCs to 00:00:00:00 and then relinking. For now since a deadline is fast approaching the manual linking by using the aaf file and cutting reference copy is working all be it a longish process.

Will continue to post what we find and hopefully a solution.

Tony M.

Return to DaVinci Resolve