Which LUT applies where?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sboukortt

Which LUT applies where?

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 11:30 am

Hi,

I am using DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.3.2 build 8 and trying to figure out how to use these settings:

lut-settings.png
lut-settings.png (23.21 KiB) Viewed 162 times

to affect this tab:

color-tab.jpg
color-tab.jpg (949.52 KiB) Viewed 162 times

My understanding from reading the manual (page 141) was that:
  • “Video monitor lookup table” should apply to the external monitor connected to my playback card;
  • “Color viewer lookup table” (which defaults to using the same as “Video monitor”) should apply to that view in the upper half of my second screenshot;
  • “Scopes lookup table” (idem) should apply to the scopes at the bottom right.

Instead, the behavior that I am observing is that “Video monitor lookup table” affects all three (even with “Color viewer” and “Scopes” set to “No LUT selected” instead of “Use video monitoring selection”), and that the other two settings have no effect whatsoever.

Clearly, I must be missing something (for example a hypothetical setting that would tie the color viewer and the playback card). But what could that “something” be?

Thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve