Smart bins using clip colors

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Phil Side

Smart bins using clip colors

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 8:29 am

I create a smart bin for clips with clip-color set to teal.

smart bin - color.jpg
smart bin - color.jpg (17.3 KiB) Viewed 424 times

If I then change a clip on the timeline to be teal, or if I change it in the inspector to be teal, that clip doesn't appear in the smart bin.

The only way to get it to appear in the smart bin is to change the color of the entire clip in the media pool.

On the timeline, I might have several instances and subclips of the same clip. I want to be able to give each one its own color and have it appear in the associated bin. Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks.

Andy Mees

Re: Smart bins using clip colors

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 12:02 pm

Phil Side wrote:Is there any way to achieve this?

No. Smart Bins only work on Media Pool items.
If you need to view your timeline as a filtered collection of 'instances' then you could use the Edit Index which, by obvious design, reflects timeline instances only. Specifically, you could use the Edit Index options menu to show only the instances of a particular colour, being the colour assigned to the instance.
Hope that helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Phil Side

Re: Smart bins using clip colors

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 7:31 am

Andy Mees wrote:
Phil Side wrote:Is there any way to achieve this?

If you need to view your timeline as a filtered collection of 'instances' then you could use the Edit Index which, by obvious design, reflects timeline instances only./quote]

Thanks. I was really looking for a semi-permanent and quick to use method, like smart bins, but if it's not available, I'll make do with the Edit Index.

Return to DaVinci Resolve