storyboard and batch stabilisation

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cobra427

storyboard and batch stabilisation

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 11:48 am

After using BDR for more than a year I am still missing a storyboard and batch stabilisation.

Storyboard:
There several very handy functions in the CUTpage. Something like a 'user sort' in the BIN would be a great timesaver. It would greatly speedup my process.

Batch stabilisation:
It is very time consuming to stabilize clip after clip. Batch stabilisation would solve this. Even if 20% to 30% would not be acceptable and has to done the old way (the way it is done now), it would still be a great timesaver. (I now use Mercalli outside BDR)

Am I alone on this?
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

Andy Mees

Re: storyboard and batch stabilisation

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 1:31 pm

As much as possible, I try to ensure that the footage I receive is batch stabilised ahead of time... with a tripod. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pretty sure theres a Feature Request for Batch Stabilisation in the requests forum above, probably a good idea to go there and add your support.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=148751
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=142849

also theres this, which may be worth looking at:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=147074
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

cobra427

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 7:28 am

I do all my shots "run and gun" and not in the order it will end up in the film. Stabilisation is always needed and rearranging the clips is always needed. It is a pity it consumes so much time.

Given the fact that there is only one respons it seems I am alone on this and BDR is right in putting this not on their priority list.

BTW I did try the script in the last link and it did not work on my setup.
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

ricardo marty

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 8:09 pm

cobra427 wrote:After using BDR for more than a year I am still missing a storyboard and batch stabilisation.

Storyboard:
There several very handy functions in the CUTpage. Something like a 'user sort' in the BIN would be a great timesaver. It would greatly speedup my process.

Batch stabilisation:
It is very time consuming to stabilize clip after clip. Batch stabilisation would solve this. Even if 20% to 30% would not be acceptable and has to done the old way (the way it is done now), it would still be a great timesaver. (I now use Mercalli outside BDR)

Am I alone on this?

I have been asking for a storyboard interface for years It's part of many high-end nles but it's not a workflow that is of interest to narrative content producers although it could be. But for events, promo and commercial content it can be a great time-saver and help in creative decisions.

ricardo marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Jason Conrad

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:00 pm

Oh. By “storyboard,” you mean like Premiere’s user sort mode? Like a desktop folder to arrange your clips into loose piles of clips?

Is an extra timeline insufficient for your purposes? You can have two open at the same time, either stacked vertically for convenient drag and drop, or tabbed to save screen real estate. This is how I mostly flesh out temporary ideas, and set aside potential selects.

I’m not opposed to some kind of scratch bin, but I’m not convinced it encourages good project organization. I’d love for someone to explain the benefits, though.

Or do you mean like some kind of animatic drawing support?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

ricardo marty

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:23 pm

Jason Conrad wrote:Oh. By “storyboard,” you mean like Premiere’s user sort mode? Like a desktop folder to arrange your clips into loose piles of clips?

Is an extra timeline insufficient for your purposes? You can have two open at the same time, either stacked vertically for convenient drag and drop, or tabbed to save screen real estate. This is how I mostly flesh out temporary ideas, and set aside potential selects.

I’m not opposed to some kind of scratch bin, but I’m not convinced it encourages good project organization. I’d love for someone to explain the benefits, though.

Or do you mean like some kind of animatic drawing support?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
\\Storyboard editing is the capability to build and arrange a timeline by simply moving the icons around without having to use any comand. It's viewing the timeline
as a series of icons and dragging clips between two icons and it will automatically insert or delete an icon and the timeline will automatically close. you can move clips around. it's a very fast process. very useful when you need to try alternative clip order. can be done in seconds.

Richard Marty

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Return to DaVinci Resolve