Move project from Free to Paid version of Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timvansom

Move project from Free to Paid version of Resolve

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:16 am

Hi

I'm fairly new to Resolve, but I've been colouring a large project for Cinema broadcast in the free version of the app.

I want to use some of the paid-for features, so I've ordered the Studio version, which I'm looking forward to using.
However, it seems Resolve uses a database rather than more obvious files or libraries to store current projects.
What will happen when I install the new version of Resolve? Will it automatically find and be able to open the project I've started in the free version?

Of course I could just try it and see, but I don't want to risk losing or causing any problems with the project I've done a lot of work on (it's a 2 hour feature with over 1000 shots!).

Can anyone reassure me that it will "just work" or let me know any prep I need to do with the current database, or tell me if I need to point the new Resolve Studio at the old database?

Many thanks

I'm running Resolve 17 on an M1 Mac.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Move project from Free to Paid version of Resolve

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 8:08 pm

The databases are separate to the app so are not affected by the app upgrade.
You can also backup the database on the project manager page, details in the the manual
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve