Bypass LUT On Specific Clips? *Urgent

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kyanmagic

Bypass LUT On Specific Clips? *Urgent

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 7:12 pm

Good evening!

About to export a project for a deadline tomorrow and I've come across an issue.

I have the Gen 5 Black Magic LUT for video on my project as the starting point, but I also have other clips in the project that were shot on different cameras i.e archive footage, screen recordings, Go Pro etc.

Is there a way of telling certain clips to bypass the LUT on certain clips?

My slightly long way round was going to be exporting a version with the LUT and a version without and then editing back the clips from the latter into the former. However I have coloured subtitles that overlay on the images, so I can't do this as the colour of the subtitles will be slightly different in each version.

Any ideas would much appreciated!

I haven't typically used LUTS in the past or I've just used footage solely from my Black Magic 6k, so this is the first time I'm coming across this issue.

Thank you in advance!

Kyan

AdamRabinowitz

Re: Bypass LUT On Specific Clips? *Urgent

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 pm

You could NOT specify a project wide LUT and manually add the LUT to the clips you want to have them. Or in the Color tab specify on the clips you do not want to have the LUT effect that there is no LUT selected.
Adam Rabinowitz
V18.6.3 Bld 19 Studio
M2 Ultra Studio (Ventura)
64 GB ram
1 TB SSD int. drive
4 TB Tbolt4 NVME Cache
32TB TBolt3 Storage RAID
16TB TBolt3 Render RAID
BMD UltraStudio 4K
Asus PA32QV
Asus MB166C
BENQ PV3200PT

kyanmagic

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 pm

Hey Adam,

Thank you for your response. Just to check a couple things (please bear with me as I'm a beginner) - at the moment the LUT is set on the Output lookup table.

I understand I can change that to "no LUT", but then I encounter the problem I was describing. Regarding the manual LUT on the specific clips, are you referring to where you can "add LUT" in the Camera Raw tab? I just tried adding the LUT there with the Output lookup table LUT removed but the image looked very different when I added it that way even though in theory it was adding the same LUT. If there is somewhere else I can manual add the LUT please let me know?

Lastly in the Colour tab, you said I could specific the clips I do not want to have the LUT on, where would I do this? The only place I'm aware of toggling a LUT on and off on the colour tab is in the the Camera raw tab, but that's greyed out when not on RAW files - so again, please let me know if there's another place as this would be very helpful.

Thanks again for your time, much appreciated.

Kyan

shebbe

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 11:10 pm

Go to the Color page and on the clips you want to apply it you can rightclick the node on the right side of the viewer and select a lut from there. That node view is where colorgrading normally happens but I assume you're not a colorist.

If you do feel a bit ambitous however probably better to look into grouping all your blackmagic clips and apply the lut on the group node instead. That way you only need to apply the lut in one single place and makes it easy to change if needed.
Here's a vid explaining groups, or check the manual :)
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Marc Wielage

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 4:26 am

kyanmagic wrote:Thank you for your response. Just to check a couple things (please bear with me as I'm a beginner) - at the moment the LUT is set on the Output lookup table.

I think that's a bad idea. I think you're better off using the LUT on a clip-by-clip basis within the node tree: just right click and add the LUT as needed.

To me, there are advantages of not using a LUT at all and just using a CST node (which will shift the BMD Raw clip into Rec709 color/gamma space), but it's a creative call. There's a number of ways to do it, including with Color Management (RCM2 or ACES), with LUTs (either per clip or project wide, as you're doing), or with a CST Node. Hell, you can almost do it manually, but that's cheating. To tell you the truth, the BMD camera actually look pretty good right out of the box: we generally just used the BMD Film mode and treated it as if it were film. It's honestly not that hard to manually turn the knobs and match the LUT, or at least come close to it. We try not to overthink this.

I just finished a project last month that mixed Red Dragon and Blackmagic 6K in some scenes, and we had no problem matching it just using CST nodes. It still required some manual tweaks, but it wasn't that difficult -- I've dealt with much tougher situations in my life. The BMD didn't have the dynamic range of the Red, but color-wise they weren't that far off.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

kyanmagic

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 10:06 am

shebbe wrote:Go to the Color page and on the clips you want to apply it you can rightclick the node on the right side of the viewer and select a lut from there. That node view is where colorgrading normally happens but I assume you're not a colorist.

If you do feel a bit ambitous however probably better to look into grouping all your blackmagic clips and apply the lut on the group node instead. That way you only need to apply the lut in one single place and makes it easy to change if needed.
Here's a vid explaining groups, or check the manual :)

Ahh that makes perfect sense, I can't believe I was doing it a different way now I know. Thanks for saving me A LOT of time! I've always had my stuff colour graded by other people so it's a learning curve * Makes note to make time to actually read the manual!

Return to DaVinci Resolve