how to "level" a horizon with out a million key frames.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kevinnem

how to "level" a horizon with out a million key frames.

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:02 pm

I want to do a "dynamic horizon correction" this would kind of be like "making a gimbaled video from a non gimbaled camera" sort of idea.

You see I have a bunch of video from a head worn camera, go-pro style. when you look far left, you will notice you tilt your head forward, off level putting the right side of you head downward - the result is that while forward face thing are level , but as you get to the far left, thing tilt off level , up to 30-40 degrees.
The opposite happens if you look far right, and the left side of your head goes down.

A similar effect happens, if you have a camera on a boat, that is rocking back and forth. The boat stays still, but the horizon bounces back and forth. I was able to correct a bunch by zooming in, and using the tilt/rotation functions and a TON of key frames, to correct it each time it had to tilt clockwise, and counter-clockwise. but surely there has to be some sort of automatic version of this?

Please note I am a but new to editing video , so please be kind.

I was hoping there was a tracker-like function for this .. that would analyze the video and be able to hold the horizon level, even as the camera twists ( obviously losing some resolution to the croping that need be done.)

I did try image stabilization , it didn't really seem to work. I could upload some video if that helps.

Marc Wielage

Re: how to "level" a horizon with out a million key frames.

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 4:34 am

Image Stabilization is the way to go, but be aware that there's at least 7 or 8 different modes, some of which will work better than others. And there are limits in terms of how far it can go.

I'm often surprised by Stabilization: sometimes I'll throw what I think is an easy shot at it, and it fails miserably (all modes). And other times, I'll take a fairly shaky shot and it stabilizes just fine. So it's a little unpredictable.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 8:05 am

And if it doesn’t work for you, give Mercalli a try.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Kevinnem

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 11:19 pm

not way to use a tracker eh ? .. like some how , "track " the horizon, and for it to a horizonal line or some thing?

Marc Wielage

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 4:16 am

Mocha is another (paid) 3rd-party option for stabilization.

https://borisfx.com/products/mocha-pro/ ... =mocha-pro
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sean Nelson

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 4:58 am

Kevinnem wrote:not way to use a tracker eh ? .. like some how , "track " the horizon, and for it to a horizonal line or some thing?

You can use a tracker node in Fusion with two tracking points to stabilize video - that lets you control exactly what features in the video you use as references. But if you're moving around a lot it might be challenging to find features that stay in the frame, and Fusion is not exactly the shallow end of the pool for someone new to editing.

If you search YouTube for "Davinci Fusion Stabilize" you'll likely find something to give you an idea. The key to the kind of thing you're trying to do is to add a second tracker to the tracker node so that it tracks two different features.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Andy Mees

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 7:01 am

Kevinnem wrote:not way to use a tracker eh ? .. like some how , "track " the horizon, and for it to a horizonal line or some thing?

Try the Color Page stabilzer > Classic Stabilzer > Cloud Tracker ... editing the cloud points to include only the horizon.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve