DaVinci Resolve super slow reaction time

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

erikpeiren

DaVinci Resolve super slow reaction time

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 8:24 am

Hi there,

I am using the latest version of Resolve on a MacBook Pro M1, latest version, 16GB.

All went well, but suddenly in the middle of a project the reaction time of the system has gotten terribly slow. By reaction time I mean: each time I select, click or duplicate something...I get the wheel and have to wait for 5-10 seconds before I can continue. Playback is NOT the problem. Playback is smooth.

What to do?

panos_mts

Re: DaVinci Resolve super slow reaction time

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 9:02 am

Does this happen with every project or with a specific one?

erikpeiren

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 10:08 am

It happened to me once before on another Mac system on an older DR version.

I would say it happens in a large project. While duplicating a timeline....after that everything went into superslim reaction time...
If I open another project, the problem isn't there, so it is project-specific.
What could be happening?

ReneRotterdam

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 10:12 am

Sad but interesting. Can you give more information about your project ? Short/Long, with or without effects, colour corrections, layers or not.

Last month I had to re-edit a 60 minute documentary in FCPX (I know) on a M1-mini, 16 GB, 1 Terra, with the least possible amount of timelines (projects in FCP speech) and I saw more beach balls than on the Costa del Sol. So impossible to work with. I hope it's not something M1 specific.
Rene A. Hazekamp

HP Z840 // 2x E2680v4 // RTX 4070 // Studio 18.5.1
Macbook air M1

panos_mts

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 11:59 am

If live save is enabled, try to disable it to see if still happens.
You can also try to create a new empty database and import the problematic project there to see if this makes any difference.

TheBloke

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:15 pm

The issue I see with these new M1 systems is how little RAM most of them have. 16GB is quite a small amount of RAM these days. It's been about 10 years since I regularly used a system with so little. I often see my web browser use multiple GBs on its own.

Periodic pauses that start occurring after using the system for some time could be a sign of running out of RAM, forcing the system to first compress it, and then swap to disk.

I second the questions regarding what exactly is being used in Resolve. For example I wouldn't try and do anything in Fusion with only 16GB RAM - or nothing other than the most basic comps.

All that said, the OP's issue could also be some issue specific to the M1 MacBook Pro, which being so new could well have bugs either in general, or specific to Resolve.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Return to DaVinci Resolve