How to remove deleted projects from Project Manager?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

wiliextreme

How to remove deleted projects from Project Manager?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 6:32 pm

In older Resolve versions all I had to do was to click right mouse btn -> Delete and the project was gone from Project Manager. Recently I noticed it's no longer working.

After RMB -> Delete, the project seems to be gone but after restarting Resolve it's back again (although with a different icon). I can delete it again and again but it's always coming back after I restart Resolve.

question.jpg
question.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 2290 times

How can I remove it once and for all?

Reynaud Venter

Re: How to remove deleted projects from Project Manager?

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 7:44 am

System spec? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Are the Projects local? Disk Database or PostgreSQL?

Not experiencing issues deleting Projects on macOS with Resolve 17.3.2
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 am

Hi Wilhelm

Please also indicate where this disk database is and check if you're able to manually delete this folder. The screenshots seem to suggest that there may be a permissions issue deleting files/folders in that path. Please note that disk database folders in ExFAT or on improperly configured network drives can cause similar issues.

Link to FAQ on databases

Regards
Shrinivas

wiliextreme

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 8:32 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:Are the Projects local? Disk Database or PostgreSQL?

Resolve Studio 17.3.2, Windows 10 Pro, disk database

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi Wilhelm
Please also indicate where this disk database is and check if you're able to manually delete this folder.

Thanks, totally forgot it's just a folder I can simply delete.

It seems that after you click RMB -> Delete, the Project.db file is deleted and project is removed from UI but the empty folder where the project was located remains on the disk.
Then when you reload Resolve this folder is visible in project list even though it doesn't contain any files.
Deleting it again just removes it from UI so it'll be back again after another restart. Maybe it's some Windows specific bug introduced in one of recent versions? I don't think it's related to privileges because it's present even when I ran Resolve with admin privileges and the disk db is located on drive not requiring any special os privileges.

As for me, the problem is already solved - I'm just going to delete projects from system explorer instead of using Project Manager. Thanks for help.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 10:45 am

Hi Wilhelm

I now realise that what I requested as a diagnosis step has been interpreted as the way to make it work. I'm sorry for that misunderstanding. Operating directly on underlying files and folders in a disk DB is risky and not recommended. The project manager has all the controls needed to safely create, delete, nest, rename and copy projects across databases, and that remains the recommended way. The only direct file operation we can recommend is for cloning the entire database folder for backups.

As for the failure to delete the containing folder, it still seems like a system permissions issue. Please add some information on the location of this folder to your post, and what the top level folder properties indicate on permissions.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Return to DaVinci Resolve