Upgrading to latest version during project issues?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

Upgrading to latest version during project issues?

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 8:07 pm

Are there any actual issues in upgrading from v16 to v17 during a project? I have v15 projects that I've worked on in v17 with no issues.

The reason I'm asking is I am working on a project in 16 that the client is wanting to stay in 16. But the project has dragged on (adding late footage, submitting drps for scenes) well past the due date and I have v17 projects I need to work on too. I would like to tell them that I have to go back to 17 since the project has gone into overtime but would like to be able to reassure them of what I'm already certain of, that it won't hurt the project.

This is with the understanding of the db change from 16 to 17 and knowing that they won't be able to use it in 16.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Marc Wielage

Re: Upgrading to latest version during project issues?

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 4:18 am

I would not do it in the middle of a project. Once everything is shipped, THEN you can change everything over in an hour or so.

Here's a discussion on how to update from 16 to 17 and what you need to backup first:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=125045
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

GalinMcMahon

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 2:56 pm

Thanks Marc. Is there a specific reason why you wouldn't want to do it in the middle of a project? I've seen lots of people saying not to but as I gather it is because newer databases add fields which should just be blank with an older version's project. As mentioned, I've done it across 3 versions (15-17) with no 'noticeable' issues. Again, this is with an understanding that you can't take a project back a version.

Next week is Fairlight training and I'd have to be on 17 but I also have a rapidly-approaching deadline on this project.
Resolve Studio 18.5

Luke Holzmann

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 3:44 pm

GalinMcMahon wrote:Is there a specific reason why you wouldn't want to do it in the middle of a project?

Last year we upgraded from 16 -> 17 in the middle of a project, despite it not being recommended. Overall, things were fine. The biggest issues we encountered were bugs with earlier 17 versions that were fixed later (e.g. cropping introduced black lines for a while there).

The one thing that totally broke was a rather complex element I'd built in Fusion. I'm still working off old renders of that because I haven't gone in to rebuild it (I'm still very unskilled in Fusion and I got it work the first time with just elbow grease and throwing things at the wall).

I don't recall any timeline issues that required me to re-edit anything.

If you decide to give it a try, be sure to back up everything as a 16 version first (the database, the project as a whole, and the individual timelines as .drps), just in case you need to go back. That can save you if there is an issue you discover and have to roll back to re-render the project one more time for your client.

Hope that helps!

~Luke
Studio 18.6.4 build 6 | Windows 10 Pro | Driver 551.23 Studio

WORK
1. 2080Ti; Ryzen 9 3900X; 32GB
2. 3080; Ryzen 9 5950X; 64GB
Blackmagic Cloud; Media NAS; M.2 Boot

HOME
1080Ti; Threadripper 1950X; 32GB
Media 7200; M.2 Boot

GalinMcMahon

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanks Luke. I could see there being issues with complex Fusion comps.

It would be cool if BM would put out either a sticky post or something similar that explains any ACTUAL issues with upgrading mid-project as there seems to be a lot of conjecture.
Resolve Studio 18.5

Return to DaVinci Resolve