Slow performance of Resolve on Mac Mini 2018

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TimLewis

Slow performance of Resolve on Mac Mini 2018

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 10:51 pm

Just wanted to post this - I have been seeing poor choppy performance on my Mac Mini 2018. Lots of stuttering and dropped frames. I tried numerous settings suggestions I could find here and on YouTube to no avail.

This week, I inadvertently stumbled on the solution while troubleshooting a different problem on a different Mac. It turns out that the Display Resolution setting was the culprit. On my Mac Mini 2018, I had used the 'Scaled' setting to increase the resolution on my Samsung monitor. Once I set it back to 'Default Resolution for Display,' performance returned to normal.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Robert Jones

Re: FIXED - Slow performance of Resolve on Mac Mini 2018

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 12:34 am

TimLewis wrote:Just wanted to post this - I have been seeing poor choppy performance on my Mac Mini 2018. Lots of stuttering and dropped frames. I tried numerous settings suggestions I could find here and on YouTube to no avail.

This week, I inadvertently stumbled on the solution while troubleshooting a different problem on a different Mac. It turns out that the Display Resolution setting was the culprit. On my Mac Mini 2018, I had used the 'Scaled' setting to increase the resolution on my Samsung monitor. Once I set it back to 'Default Resolution for Display,' performance returned to normal.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Where can that setting be found?
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Mac 5.1 2,66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Marc Wielage

Re: Slow performance of Resolve on Mac Mini 2018

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 4:13 am

A 2018 Mac Mini is gonna be rough with Resolve. I don't think it's a good choice for a lot of situations. Maybe with very, very basic editing with ProResLT or ProResProxy, it might barely be adequate. Resolve needs more power for optimum results.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

Re: Slow performance of Resolve on Mac Mini 2018

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 7:29 am

The Mini is quite capable if you add an eGPU. That said, I wouldn't invest into one these days any more if you can't get it second-hand for a good price.
Rather go for the new Mac mini.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve