Timeline on Timeline issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MasterJustino

Timeline on Timeline issues

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 6:42 am

Hi all!

Currently cutting a feature in Resolve, cutting groups of scenes at a time then throwing those timelines onto one master timeline for review. I've run into a few technical issues with this process that I'm hoping someone can clear up. The problems only appear once throwing a timeline onto another.

1. Audio becomes unruly, tracks with high volume cause other channels to duck (using a limiter on the master bus)
    2. Titles/video add an extra opaque frame after fade outs

Each individual timeline is about 10 minutes in length. 2k DNxHR proxies.
I hope someone else has run into this and has a workaround. Thanks in advance

TheBloke

Re: Timeline on Timeline issues

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 am

Yeah these are known issues with nested containers like nested timelines and compound clips.

For the first issue, there may be no workaround other than not using nested timelines.

There are definitely bugs with audio from nested containers - including a very annoying 'skipping' issue where rendering nested timelines causes the audio to jump back a fraction of a second, like a skipping record.

I've not heard of your 'ducking' issue specifically, but it doesn't surprise me given the other issues known for audio in nested timelines.

One option is to duplicate your master timeline then Decompose In Place all the nested timelines, and render that.

Unfortunately decomposing isn't always a viable solution. For example if your nested timelines use track FX, decomposing them will not create the same result. In that situation, you may be forced to render each of the nested timeline individually, producing a media file, and then using those media files on your main timeline instead of nested timelines. That's what I've had to do recently.

On the second issue, if you avoid using any non-Fusion transitions, it should work OK. So only use transitions from the Fusion category, and they will work OK in nested containers. There is no other solution (besides decomposing), because the non-Fusion transitions don't properly support alpha processing, so they don't work in a nested timeline or compound clip. Fusion transitions do.

Fade handles on clips do work OK in nested containers - it's just transitions that don't.

So, don't use these:

Use these (plus any third-party ones you download/buy, or make yourself:

Fusion Transitions are also more powerful and flexible in that, once you learn a little Fusion, they can be edited in Fusion to change them in any way you like.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

MasterJustino

Re: Timeline on Timeline issues

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 1:42 am

That's a wonderful response!
Glad to know this is a typical software error. I, like many, have recently transitioned to Resolve for many incoming projects. Feels incredibly intuitive and reliable over Adobe's lack of support.

This is all great to know. I'll definitely need to adjust my workflow to cover this
Resolve seems to demand a lot more resource when using multiple nested timelines, hoping this doesn't bite me back in the end.

Thank you very very much.

Return to DaVinci Resolve