Resolve 17 timeline navigation experience frustration

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

peterdian

Resolve 17 timeline navigation experience frustration

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 1:14 pm

I would like to share a bit of my experience with DR17 Studio about timeline navigation. I'm using DR17 nearly daily, I have Speed Editor (using it on Cut page) and also use keyboard quite often when editing on Edit page, but I can't wrap my head around the change of timeline scrolling and zooming. E.g. How often do you use vertical zoom on timeline? For me personally, I use horizontal scroll much more often than horizontal scroll. I mean, the whole experience is worse after upgrading to V17 when BM changed the navigation, partly because of muscle memory. Since everyone has probably different workflow, DR17 would really benefit from being able to customize the keyboard and mouse behavior, for example, to set Shift+Scroll Wheel to horizontal scroll, Scroll Wheel to vertical scroll, etc. Especially when you use other programs for editing the audio, for example. Similar thing with timecode entry on numeric pad without the additional key press, e.g. = as it is now. I can see a lot of potential in DR17, but navigation should be intuitive and easy to use for editing with an option to customize also keyboard and mouse.
Windows 10 2004
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz
24 GB DDR3 RAM 2400MHz
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 - 8GB VRAM

Joao.Gri

Re: Resolve 17 timeline navigation experience frustration

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:57 pm

Peterdian, I second all that.

Just updated and discovered the timecode typing behavior, that is absurd! I had to configure a button to select the damn field. There should be an option to use the tradition behavior of automatic selecting the field, as soon as you start typing on the Numeric Keypad.

Return to DaVinci Resolve