Cannot hear sound in my Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dipandas

Cannot hear sound in my Resolve

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 3:31 am

Screenshot 2021-10-21 212905.png
Screenshot from the Fairlight module in my Resolve.
Screenshot 2021-10-21 212905.png (278.87 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

The sound from DaVinci Resolve stopped suddenly and I have tried every trick in the book but with no avail. The sound is working for all other applications on my computer except Resolve. But I can see the waveforms in Resolve. It used to work but it stopped working while I was editing a video. Steps I have taken so far.

1. Reinstalled.
2. Downgraded to version 16
3. Upgraded to the latest version (17.3.2 Build 8)
4. Changed all options in preferences
5. Patched / Unpatched
6. BUS assign

Attached a screenshot of my Fairlight module, if that helps.

And I have run out of ideas and patience. This is my last straw. Hope it works, else I will stick to Lightworks.

Thank you.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Cannot hear sound in my Resolve

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 3:41 am

What do u have set in Preferences, system, video and audio i/o for the audio monitoring?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 5:34 am

Does audio work on the Fairlight page? Since your screen shot is of the Fairlight page, I assume not, but want to verify since there is a common issue of audio working on the Fairlight page but not on other pages.

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Are you using internal audio?

Do you have a BMD I/O device in use?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Sean Nelson

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 5:54 am

Sometimes it's weird things that trip you up. My audio disappeared on me and it took a lot of troubleshooting to discover that it was because I had plugged a Zoom H1 audio recorder into a USB port. The recorder has a tinny little speaker and Windows had switched it to become the default. I had to go to the Windows Audio settings panel to undo that change.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

dipandas

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 11:07 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:What do u have set in Preferences, system, video and audio i/o for the audio monitoring?

I have reverted to system settings after trying all manual settings.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-22 170624.png
Screenshot 2021-10-22 170624.png (47.12 KiB) Viewed 1642 times

dipandas

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 11:10 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Does audio work on the Fairlight page? Since your screen shot is of the Fairlight page, I assume not, but want to verify since there is a common issue of audio working on the Fairlight page but not on other pages.

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Are you using internal audio?

Do you have a BMD I/O device in use?

I am using Windows 10 and internal audio. I have a Logitech USB microphone and Bose speakers plugged into the rear speaker port, nothing fancy.

dipandas

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 5:56 am

Sean Nelson wrote:Sometimes it's weird things that trip you up. My audio disappeared on me and it took a lot of troubleshooting to discover that it was because I had plugged a Zoom H1 audio recorder into a USB port. The recorder has a tinny little speaker and Windows had switched it to become the default. I had to go to the Windows Audio settings panel to undo that change.

I did make sure the default settings are pointing to the right devices. Attached is the screenshot of what I can see. If there is anywhere else I can check or change this please let me know.

Thank you.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-22 235514.png
Screenshot 2021-10-22 235514.png (10.22 KiB) Viewed 1642 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:21 am

In the Resolve Help menu, select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop"

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

dipandas

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 3:49 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In the Resolve Help menu, select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop"

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.

Here is the link and thank you very much in advance.

https ://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AJBB0U6OCfPknVk&id=EEE82731AF483893%21966&cid=EEE82731AF483893

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 4:45 pm

Go to the Windows Sound area, where your screen shot above came from, and double click Speakers.

That should open a Speakers Properties window.

Look at the settings in my screen shot below. If yours don't match that, make them match, and see if that helps.

One exception could be the 2 Exclusive Mode settings. If you have those checked, and you have some app other than Resolve running at the same time as Resolve, and that app has exclusive access support, that could be what's keeping Resolve from accessing the sound system. So make sure no other apps are running that might do this, or, don't enable either Exclusive Mode setting.

windows_sound_properties.png
windows_sound_properties.png (57.08 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Dwaine Maggart

dipandas

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 10:52 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Go to the Windows Sound area, where your screen shot above came from, and double click Speakers.

That should open a Speakers Properties window.

Look at the settings in my screen shot below. If yours don't match that, make them match, and see if that helps.

One exception could be the 2 Exclusive Mode settings. If you have those checked, and you have some app other than Resolve running at the same time as Resolve, and that app has exclusive access support, that could be what's keeping Resolve from accessing the sound system. So make sure no other apps are running that might do this, or, don't enable either Exclusive Mode setting.

The attachment windows_sound_properties.png is no longer available

No luck as yet. Here's my speaker settings. Testing works but Resolve just refuses to play any sound.
Screenshot 2021-10-27 165023.png
Screenshot 2021-10-27 165023.png (14.68 KiB) Viewed 1512 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 1:47 am

Running out of ideas. Everything looks good.

Just as a sanity check, on the Fairlight page, the Meters are bouncing when you play the timeline?

And the volume slider is turned up and not muted or dimmed?

From your earlier screen shot, that appeared to be the case, but just want to verify.

In Resolve Preferences - Video and Audio I/O, uncheck "Automatic speaker configuration" and make sure the Left and Right selections are set to Speakers, as in the screen shot below:

manual_speaker_selection.png
manual_speaker_selection.png (50.04 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Dwaine Maggart

Sean Nelson

PostSat Oct 30, 2021 1:09 am

As another sanity check, while Resolve is running right-click on the speaker icon on the Windows taskbar and select "Open Volume Mixer". Scroll right or left if necessary to find DaVinci Resolve and make sure its volume is not set to muted, zero or some very low level.

dipandas

PostSat Oct 30, 2021 4:13 am

Sean Nelson wrote:As another sanity check, while Resolve is running right-click on the speaker icon on the Windows taskbar and select "Open Volume Mixer". Scroll right or left if necessary to find DaVinci Resolve and make sure its volume is not set to muted, zero or some very low level.

YOU ARE BRILLIANT! THAT DID THE TRICK.

Pardon the caps. I am too excited after almost giving up on this. Oh my god! Holy moly!

dipandas

PostSat Oct 30, 2021 4:14 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Running out of ideas. Everything looks good.

Just as a sanity check, on the Fairlight page, the Meters are bouncing when you play the timeline?

And the volume slider is turned up and not muted or dimmed?

From your earlier screen shot, that appeared to be the case, but just want to verify.

In Resolve Preferences - Video and Audio I/O, uncheck "Automatic speaker configuration" and make sure the Left and Right selections are set to Speakers, as in the screen shot below:

manual_speaker_selection.png

I must thank you wholeheartedly for putting in so much effort to help me out. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. Thank you, thank you so very much.

Regards.

Sean Nelson

PostSat Oct 30, 2021 4:10 pm

dipandas wrote:THAT DID THE TRICK.

Fantastic, so glad to hear it!

Return to DaVinci Resolve