Free plugin: YouTube Video Chapters Plus

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

roger.magnusson

Free plugin: YouTube Video Chapters Plus

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Obviously this is a bit too late. I wasn't expecting BMD to add this to Resolve but I'll just put my version here since it has some more features.

At least I learned some stuff while making it. :)

Key differences where you might find my version more flexible:
  • No rendering required. You can view the user interface any time and copy the chapters or save to disk. You can also trigger it when rendering to have a text file saved next to the video file. This means you are no longer required to use the YouTube preset (in fact you can't, since the YouTube preset currently can't trigger scripts).

• No upload required, no need to enter YouTube credentials into Resolve.

• Customizable chapter title prefix. In Resolve the chapter titles are always prefixed with a hyphen. In my version the default prefix is empty. I also support two variables, % is the current chapter number and # is the total number of chapters. To add leading zeros just repeat the variable. A prefix like "Chapter %%/##: " would result in the title "Chapter 01/10: Your Title"

• Warn if there are invalid chapters. YouTube requires each chapter to be at least ten seconds (although they don't seem to enforce this rule).

• Ability to use marker name, marker notes or any combination of the two with a customizable separator.

Installation
  1. Download and unzip the file.
    YouTube Video Chapters Plus v1.01.zip
    (10.48 KiB) Downloaded 597 times

2. Put the unzipped file in the Deliver folder.
    • Windows
      In File Explorer, paste this path to open it:
      %AppData%\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Fusion\Scripts\Deliver

• macOS
      In Finder, press Shift+Command+G to open "Go to Folder" and paste this path to open it:
      ~/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Fusion/Scripts/Deliver

• Linux
      ~/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/Fusion/Scripts/Deliver
Usage
DaVinci Resolve v17 or later is required. Add timeline markers where you want your chapter breaks. There are two ways to use this plugin.
  • From the Workspace > Scripts menu
    If you're on the Deliver page the YouTube Video Chapters Plus option will be in the root of the menu. If you're on any other page it will be in the Deliver sub menu.

Selecting it opens the user interface and you can copy the chapters to the clipboard or save them to a text file.

Clicking OK saves the settings.

• Triggered script
    When setting up a render job on the Deliver page, expand the Advanced Settings and check the Trigger script option, select YouTube Video Chapters Plus in the dropdown menu.

Now when you render, it will use your settings (or default settings) and place a text file with the chapters in the same folder as the rendered file.
Last edited by roger.magnusson on Mon May 23, 2022 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheBloke

Re: Free plugin: YouTube Video Chapters Plus

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 1:52 pm

Great work!
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

roger.magnusson

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Thanks!

I just remembered one "hidden" feature. When you hover over the chapter details a tooltip will show the offset between the YouTube chapter time and the timecode (if any). Chapter time is truncated to whole seconds.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 7:13 pm

I don't think it's tool late because many people don't use the Youtube preset (which is not that great because there is no control of the quality of the video exported).

Your tool is more flexible.

I always used https://billjustice.com/youtube_chapter_generator for youtube chapters (from a EDL file)
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

roger.magnusson

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 8:47 pm

Thanks to the bug report by Maxwell in another thread I have added a workaround for an issue in Resolve where it reports fractional frame rates without decimals in some cases. The file in the first post has been updated.

Peter Cave

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 7:57 am

Maxwellx wrote:I don't think it's tool late because many people don't use the Youtube preset (which is not that great because there is no control of the quality of the video exported).

Your tool is more flexible.

I always used https://billjustice.com/youtube_chapter_generator for youtube chapters (from a EDL file)

Chapters from Markers does not require using a Youtube preset.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

roger.magnusson

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 9:32 am

If you want YouTube chapters with the Resolve implementation you have to use the YouTube preset. And you have to do the upload from within Resolve so it can add the chapter text to the description field of the video. Otherwise you just get QuickTime chapters embedded in the file and YouTube doesn't do anything with those at this time.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 2:45 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Thanks to the bug report by Maxwell in another thread I have added a workaround for an issue in Resolve where it reports fractional frame rates without decimals in some cases. The file in the first post has been updated.

No problem ;) Installing the new version right now, thanks for your script.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

cpearless

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Just wanted to give a massive thanks for this, it's been a lifesaver. Before this I was using a custom developed Python script to do the work externally with an .EDL.

Do you have anywhere to leave tips at all?

roger.magnusson

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks, I was going to put a PayPal tip jar in there but forgot about it when the v17.4 release came so suddenly. :)

Here's the link: https://paypal.me/rogermagnusson

Part of the idea was to see if there is interest for this kind of stuff in Resolve. If people use it it will help me decide wether I should put in the effort for some bigger projects.

jamedia

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 8:06 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Thanks, I was going to put a PayPal tip jar in there but forgot about it when the v17.4 release came so suddenly. :)

Here's the link: https://paypal.me/rogermagnusson

Part of the idea was to see if there is interest for this kind of stuff in Resolve. If people use it it will help me decide wether I should put in the effort for some bigger projects.

Yes there will be interest but as soon as you get back the price of a coffe and a cake in costa/starbucks BMD will include their own version in Resolve for free. Both Microsoft and Apple are good at this sort of thing. If you are very lucky they will offer you a small token cash payment. They, like Apple and MS, know that legal action will cost you mre than the value of any win. However I might be unfairly tarring BMD with the same brush as Apple/MS.

If you want to do it either understand you will be doing it for free and the undying (for 12 months) love and respect from Resolve users or you may be lucky and strike gold, make some money that means you are working at minimum wage (but that is not the point). It is one in a million you will make a serious income at it. Though that is not why you were doing it in the first place.

Your best bet is probalby to have a youtube channel explaining how to install and use your extensions thus get the money from the videos rather than charging for the extensions. (more will watch the videos than download the SW anyway). You might even get something out of BMD to let them use the ideas (and or code) in resolve to save them coding it themselves.

Having poured buckets of cold water on your business idea please continue doing them. You will get a lot of support and it will build up you profile and provide indirect ways of gaining income. (I did this in another field)
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Umberto Uderzo

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 8:18 am

What a time saver! Thanks!

Umberto

iddos-l

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 8:48 am

Great stuff Roger!
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Datsyuk

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 2:07 pm

This is really a great tool and a big help.
Thanks a lot @roger.magnusson

Moskus

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 11:18 am

Thank you for this! Helps alot! :)
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5c

deezid

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 2:40 pm

Perfect. A lifesaver.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 3:59 am

Thanks, you are not only very kind to us here, but to every YT viewer who's intelligent enough to jump to the important parts…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Sam Steti

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 9:20 am

Hey

Tested here too, looks great, thank you
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin