Imported .mov clips have truncated audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Shenkyn

Imported .mov clips have truncated audio

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 2:32 pm

I have just moved from FCP10.5 to Resolve 17.0 so my knowledge of Resolve is limited. I have imported a number of FCP .mov clips into a test project and they have perfect video but the audio is truncated in every case. The clips play perfectly in windows medial player with audio and video present from start to finish. On import into the Resolve timeline the video is present through the whole clip but the audio track shows audio for only a part of its duration even though the track itself is the same length as the video track.
Any ideas to sort this out or explain it??

Uli Plank

Re: Imported .mov clips have truncated audio

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 7:12 am

What's the source of those clips? Do they have proper timecode and constant fps?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Shenkyn

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 1:18 pm

Hi Uli,
Sorry for the delayed response.
The clips were all taken from some DV tapes via a SONY DSR25 deck into FCP 10.5 on a MacBook Pro. They all had good timecode and frame rate. The files play perfectly in VLC player but only show limited audio track duration when placed on the Resolve timeline.
I have converted them to .avi files and they now function perfectly in Resolve in that format!!
Cheers,
Shenkyn

Uli Plank

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 9:01 am

Whatever works is good.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

fjbmiller

PostMon Mar 06, 2023 2:04 pm

I am having the same issue.

Resolve 18.1.3 Build 8.
Windows 11 Home 10.0.22621 Build 22621.
MPEG-4 843MiB

Audio is truncated in Davinci but will play all the way through using media player or other player outside of Davinci. I believe this is a recent occurrence and was not happening until just recently. Makes me wonder if it may be caused by the latest Windows or Resolve update.

Video is generated from 1 of 3 action cams (ie gopro). Would prefer not to have to convert video to another format since this is impacting all videos imported from this source.

Return to DaVinci Resolve