Unable to playback Multicam Clip on both Viewer

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

edwinhoelzli

Unable to playback Multicam Clip on both Viewer

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 11:11 am

Hi,

I am working on an interview project where 3 cameras were used.
I tried to edit the project using resolves Multicam function in the edit tab. Creating a Multicam clip and syncing everything based on waveform worked just fine.
I have selected the dual viewer mode and changed the Source Viewer to Multicam mode. Now when I try to playback the timeline there is no playback at all. No choppy playback, i really mean nothing.

When i change the icon on the bottom left corner from Multicam to Source on the left viewer, everything plays back fine, but i can't use the Multicam feature playing back all three camera angels in the Source Viewer while playing back the timeline on the righthand side at the same time. It just stays on the camera that is activated in the Multicam sequence. Scrubbing trough the timeline works flawless on both viewer simultaneously.

No effects or color grading is applied to the clips. I have already tried to create lightweight proxys for my footage, changes the timeline resolution to a quater and set the decode quality to the lowest amount possible without any changes. I am working on a Macbook Pro i9 4GB Pro Vega 32GB RAM on the latest DaVinciResolve Studio 17.4. The footage is stored an a T5 connected to my Macbook.

Does anyone experienced the same issue and knows how to fix it?

Thanks for your help

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Unable to playback Multicam Clip on both Viewer

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 12:12 pm

Did u put the multicam clip into the timeline?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

edwinhoelzli

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 12:25 pm

yes, it is in a seperate timeline

derkeck

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 6:38 am

Hello, I have exactly the same problem (with seven Audio/Video-Clips and one clip, that has only audio). I've tried the same task on another computer (my notebook), and it seems to work. But on my desktop pc, where I edit all my projects, there is no way the playback and edit the multicam clip. Scrolling is possible. I have no idea, where I could search for the problem.

Impromptu

PostTue Apr 25, 2023 12:25 pm

I have the same exact problem but I didn't find any solution.
I have worked with multi clips by years, and now, without upgrades or anything special it's not working anymore. I cannot have both timeline and Multicam screens working at the same time and consequently I cannot record the cuts on the clip in the timeline.
Really sad.
If you found a solution please let me know!
Have a good one!

Jim Simon

PostWed Apr 26, 2023 10:00 pm

What is your screen resolution, Pasquale?

(I recommend 2560 x 1440 at a bare minimum, using only 100% Display Scaling.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Daniel Vincent

PostMon Aug 07, 2023 10:23 pm

Let's be honest, Resolve absolutely sucks for multicam. I'm using v18.5 and syncing files is a nightmare (I had to sync manually when Premiere had no problem doing it by waveform). Now I have the problem described in the posts above, namely the timeline and multicam viewers won't play the footage simultaneously. Has anyone found a fix?

kawowski

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 2:51 am

I had no problem syncing the three cameras' footage to my master audio mix, it is important that you have a good audio recording in each camera, nice and loud by the way. But I am unable to see the output from the Multicam clip in my Blackmagic Ultrastudio Monitor 3G powered colour-grading monitor... it is blank. Is there something I am missing?

jhoepffner

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 10:34 am

Hello,
There is two different problems:
– synchronisation : personnaly, I always use timecode (zoom f8 recorder sendig LTC to camera with cable or HF) and there is NO problems at all. Sound sync can solve some problems but you need a very good and discernable sound and few cuts.
– visibility of different cameras in clip visualizer. Perhaps its a question of graphic card but in all my computers and with different versions of DVR I always see the different cameras.
Perhaps some screen capture could help to solve your problem.
Jacques
W10 Ryzen7 3800X nVidia 3090 RAM 64 DVR-Fusion Studio 18.6.5 SSD 2To raid0 32To (HD) raid0 8To (SSD)
MSI G65 W10 / RAM 32 nVidia 1070 Intel Core i7-8750H DVR Studio 18.6.5
MBP 15" (2012) OS 10.14.6 RAM 16 nVidia 650M Intell i7 DVR Studio 17.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve