Compound clip with DaVinci Wide Gamut issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

roymuq

Compound clip with DaVinci Wide Gamut issue

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:20 am

Hi everyone,

I started editing my recent short film with Davinci Wide Gamut in Davinci 17, I was sold in a Youtube video that a lady from Davinci, who I remember to be the author of the official guidebook, she recommended using the Davinci Wide Gamut in the interview.
I used compound clips to separate each different chapter, which the concept seems to make sense to me since the compound clips are designed to be a container like a folder or group.
Then when I started grading the footage in color page, I found a bunch of weird problem:

First, I can't make wipe color mapping with grabbed stills, yes I did open the compound clips in the timeline then turned to the Color Page (the still reference all appear to be super contrasty with weird color), it happens to still pictures also, like import a screen capture of a movie, just for color match in the wipe view (No CST was used);
I can live without the wipe view, I did some simple text effects within the compound clips, but when I play it inside the compound clip, it works fine, if I go back to the main timeline, many text will weirdly blinking, I tried to export it to see if the issue remains, it still does in the final exported footage.
Then the serious problem here is: I graded in in the compound clips, then I decomposed the clips it into the main to avoid the unknown problems like the blinking etc., then the grades on some of the footage (not all) went really weird (like some magenta shift in the highlight), and the some stills (not all) that I grabbed also doesn't work at all, casting the entire image with green.

I guess the there must be something that I did or failed to fully understand the pipeline of working in the Davinci Wide Gamut, I would start to color grade the project all over again in the default color space.

All the footage were shot with BMPCC 4K & 6K in BRAW

Davinci Resolve 17.4
Windows 10 Pro 21H1
AMD Ryzen 5950X
Nvidia RTX3090 (Driver version 472.12)
128GB RAM
Last edited by roymuq on Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci Resolve 17
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5950X
Nvidia RTX3090
128GB RAM
WD SN850 1TB
Crucial P2 1TB (Cache)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Compound clip with DaVinci Wide Gamut issue

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 6:12 am

Can u detail your hardware and exact Resolve version, OS?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

roymuq

Re: Compound clip with DaVinci Wide Gamut issue

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 7:54 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Can u detail your hardware and exact Resolve version, OS?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I've updated my hardware details in the OP.

Roy
Davinci Resolve 17
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5950X
Nvidia RTX3090
128GB RAM
WD SN850 1TB
Crucial P2 1TB (Cache)

Return to DaVinci Resolve