Failed 17.4 Mini Panel Update - Dead

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Scott Stacy

Failed 17.4 Mini Panel Update - Dead

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:33 am

When updating my Mini Panel, the message "Update Failed" flashed. Then, my panel read, "Updating ...." I continued to work in Resolve. Never updated after 45 minutes. The update program froze. Update program panel grayed out. Shut it all down. Restarted Resolve and the panel. The "Home" button on the panel blinks, and everything else is dead.

Fixes?
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Failed 17.4 Mini Panel Update - Dead

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 6:11 am

Were u trying to update via usb?
If not can u try that and if that doesn’t work, please generate logs and post.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Scott Stacy

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:08 pm

Hey Peter,

File is below.
Last edited by Scott Stacy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Scott Stacy

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:04 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Were u trying to update via usb?
If not can u try that and if that doesn’t work, please generate logs and post.

Hey Peter,

My Mini Panel is connected via USB. So, that is how I was trying to update when I first launch 17.4 after the update. I tried launching 17.4 again with the panel connected and there was no option to try and get things to work or update. The panel just sits there with the Home button blinking. I have attached the most recent log.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20211024-100200.zip
(389.11 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 4:33 pm

Open the Windows Control Panel : Programs and Features panel. What version is shown for DaVinci Resolve Control Panels?

Also, please send a Windows System Information .NFO file. Open Windows System Information and select File - Save to generate the .NFO file. If you zip that file, you'll probably be able to attach it to your response. If it won't take it, put it on a file sharing site and send a link to the file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Scott Stacy

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:20 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Open the Windows Control Panel : Programs and Features panel. What version is shown for DaVinci Resolve Control Panels?

Also, please send a Windows System Information .NFO file. Open Windows System Information and select File - Save to generate the .NFO file. If you zip that file, you'll probably be able to attach it to your response. If it won't take it, put it on a file sharing site and send a link to the file.

Hi Dwaine ... DaVinci Resolve Control Panels Version 2.0.1.0. .nfo file was sent via email.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Shanemario

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 4:37 am

Following...
---
Shane Mario Ruggieri, CSI
Sr. Production Eng • Colorist • Author
Dolby Labs

Centos v7.3
2x 16-Core Xeon E5-2697A V4
64GB RAM
4x M6000 24GB
Resolve St 16.1.2
Dolby Vision

MacOS 10.14.6
MacBook Pro 15 2017
3.1 GHz I7
16 GB RAM
Resolve St 16.1.2

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 am

I understand Scotts panel was able to load the new firmware with Dwaine's assistance.

Adam Werton

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 10:51 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand Scotts panel was able to load the new firmware with Dwaine's assistance.

Unluckily My panel experienced the same thing.
The different thing was that I had my speed editor and control panel connected at the same time.
Resolve's message showed me that my speed editor needed firmware update, while i already updated it two days ago when only connecting the speed editor to my setup.
Once I opened the panel setup app following the message telling me to update speed editor (but actually it's the mini panel needing firmware upgrade), I clicked right to switch from speed editor menu to mini panel menu. Then I click the button and it shows me to update the firmware, I clicked update, and with an instant flash, it quickly turns to "Unable to connect due to connection issue BLABLABLA"(don't remember that exact message but it says something like this). But on my mini panel it actually got in the updating sequence, and I waited, it showed me it's done, tells me to reconnect power, I did then the same thing as above, no image shown on the two screens as usual, instead they were completely black, with the Home button flashing.
I think there might be two problems, one being the program logic problem that the firmware update message only shows the first device's name in the control panel app, and the second being the updating procedure might not be very secure from all the connection issues on windows(WIN11 21H2 22000.282).
Fortunately, once it's bricked, I didn't really panic as I was a bit prepared knowing this thread. I re-entered the Control Panel app, gladly it still detects my mini panel, I reperformed a firmware update, it worked, the Home button was no longer flashing halfway, then once it's done, the screens came back. Gladly this problem didn't give me too much headache. I guess if anyone else got into the same shoes, you guys can tell him to reperform firmware update if their setup still recognized the panel. Hope my story helps.

Honestly, I know it's a bit contradictory, on the one hand, we might buy big expensive professional setups hoping to get the best experience and good service, on the other hand, so few people are using these products that when you get caught in a problem not often encountered by the user base, you would really panic, fearing that you might have done some permanent damage to your devices and you have to go through the long repair process (especially if you're on set, I think you guys all know what I mean, which would be extremely embarrassing) or maybe it's just a very small problem that can be easily solved given the proper tools, but it happens you don't have the tools or knowledge need to solve it quickly on spot, and then you have to go through the entire repair process just for that one thing.

I live in China, and from what I've heard from basically all the local filmmaking-related communities, everyone has a rather bad impression with you guys or officially speaking BMD and your dealer in China OxygenTec's Repair service, the overall opinion would be that if your devices really got into a problem, it has to be sent back to Australia, then wait in line, hoping for the best that your devices can get into the right hands and that the engineers on the other side of the ocean are skilled enough to solve the problem. (While Local repair stores just across the street in Shenzhen can literally switch and resolder every single chip in all the latest iPhones.)
(Above is the worst situation I can think of. I personally never got into the state where I really need to tap into the customer service phase with my BMD devices, but I heard a new BMD repair center is in the construction phase quite a while ago, maybe that will change this opinion over time.)

I'm not trying to complain about everything, I just want to tell you guys there can be a good balance, between user-friendly repairability and open-source device tuning (that although the community might come up with some good custom solutions, in the end might make the experience feeling really chaotic), to complete closed loops like Apple. I personally think the best balance sits in a solution similar to Emergency Download Mode on android smartphones (a deeper layer system that can wipe and reinstall everything even if the normal OS completely bricks), for professional devices, we don't really have to time to tune how things should work, we want devices that work at it best from the get-go, it's best that you guys take the design part. But we must admit that accidents can happen, maybe in the worst case, so when it comes to problems still on the software level, it would be best to have something like an Emergency Download Mode solution on all of your hardware lineups, it should be invisible when your device functions normally, but once something goes wrong, it should work in the worst-case scenario, allowing you to fully wipe away the previous settings and firmware on the device and reinstall a new system from the files we download from your servers or from backup files we can download on your official site(we all work in various timezones, and even sometimes off the internet, so honestly the whole process of trying to contact your technical service department from local dealers, having to explain everything to the technicians, back and forth waiting for work hours and relies is definitely an outdated emergency repair service system that should have been a thing of the past long ago.).

Okay, I think that's it. Hope my humble suggestion can be of some help when it comes to designing products in the future.

Have a nice day!
——————————————————
Setup: 1950X + VEGA64, 64GB RAM, WIN11 PRO up-to-date.

webdion

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 8:08 am

Scott Stacy wrote:When updating my Mini Panel, the message "Update Failed" flashed. Then, my panel read, "Updating ...." I continued to work in Resolve. Never updated after 45 minutes. The update program froze. Update program panel grayed out. Shut it all down. Restarted Resolve and the panel. The "Home" button on the panel blinks, and everything else is dead.

Fixes?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=125180
➤ DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5
➤ Apple M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, 32-core Neural Engine
128GB unified memory
8TB SSD storage
➤ Davinci Mini Panel
➤ Davinci Speed Editor
➤ Stream Deck XL

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 7:35 am

Assuming you installed the new DaVinci Panels app when u installed the v17.4.1 update

With Resolve not running, hold the home button and power on the panel.

The home button should blink, then using the usb connection to the DaVinci panels app, update the panel software

When the update is complete, power cycle the panel and start Resolve

If that doesn’t work contact BMD support

Scott Stacy

PostSun Oct 31, 2021 6:36 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand Scotts panel was able to load the new firmware with Dwaine's assistance.
Yep ... the solution you mention via USB fixed the problem.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve