[resolved] Modify the number of fps of a project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

KiKoMaSo

[resolved] Modify the number of fps of a project

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 9:37 pm

-------------------------------
[EN]--------------------------

Hello,

I'm starting with Da Vini Resolve, I'm from Vegas.
I have a problem with the framerate.

Don't know Resolve, I left my default project settings when opening Resolve.
I imported videos in 60fps and changed their speed (40 and 50% speed).
When I render video, the video is not good and it is choppy.
Looking closer, my videos were actually imported at 24 fps instead of 60 fps I feel.
Therefore, my slow motion is at 10fps.

How to have my videos at the right framerate in my projects without redoing everything please? Because I have never encountered this problem with other video editing software.

I spent several hours doing my editing, so I'm disgusted not to find.

Thank you.

-------------------------------
[FR]--------------------------

Bonjour,

Je commence avec Da Vini Resolve, je viens de Vegas.
J'ai un problème avec le framerate.

Ne connaisnat pas Resolve, j'ai laissé les paramétres de mon projets par défaut en ouvrant Resolve.
J'ai importé des vidéos en 60fps et modifié leur vitesse (40 et 50% de vitesse).
Lorsque je fais un rendu vidéo, la vidéo n'est pas bonne et elle est saccadée.
En regardant de plus prêt, mes vidéos ont en fait été importé en 24 fps au lieu de 60 fps j'ai l'impression.
De ce fait, mes ralentis sont à 10fps.

Comment faire pour avoir mes vidéos au bon framerate dans mon projets sans tout refaire svp ? Car je n'ai jamais rencontré ce problème avec d'autres logiciel de montage vidéo.

J'ai passé plusieurs heures à faire mon montage, don je suis dégouté de ne pas trouver.

Merci.
Last edited by KiKoMaSo on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Modify the number of fps of a project

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 2:08 am

2 Q,
What is the frame rate of the finish project meant to be?
What is the frame rate of the source clips?

If your aim is for 24fps frame project frame rate, set that in the project settings before putting any clips in the media pool.

Then add your clips and do not agree to change the project frame rate when you add them.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ashley Thomas

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 3:13 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:2 Q,
...set that in the project settings before putting any clips in the media pool. ... Then add your clips and do not agree to change the project frame rate when you add them.

Suggestion
Since it seems prohibitive/involved for the DR team to refactor DR to have more flexibility with post-project-creation changes to project-level FPS, can the DR team please consider a quickie low-hanging-fruit feature that would not assume a preferred project-level frame rate, a feature that would disallow a user proceeding forward with use of a project until explicitly setting/acknowledging any project properties which cannot be changed once a project is in use, such as project-level FPS?

Example...
  1. Create new DR project.
  2. DR prompts the user with project settings/frame rate, and states, "You cannot change project frame rate after your import media and create timelines, choose your project's frame rate wisely now before you begin working."
  3. The user cannot proceed forward at all until actually selecting a frame rate. No default frame rates.
This removes DR favoritism toward any perm unchangeable new project settings that are clearly not applicable to many (if not most) DR users today.

I like 24 FPS for some projects, but many of mine are borne from 30/60FPS footage and want a project with 30fps timelines, as one example. Most noobs are probably getting footage from 30/60fps sources like phones and whatnot... 24FPS is usually a setting one must go out of their way to select except perhaps in situations involving pro-am cinema type of equipment.

What about users who do not want such a gating dialog box?
The above gating project creation dialog box can have a typical "always ask me this" checkbox (defaults to checked/enabled), or a DR preference setting, that if unchecked will not prompt for this, will revert to today's default behavior. By default, folks like me and many others would not get hit with this problem. Pros and others who use DR everyday, or otherwise remember to change FPS, can simply uncheck the default to disable the gating prompt.

Basis for request
From forum feedback, DR users have been stung by this much over the years. I am one of them. It has happened several times to me. When I am using DR regularly, I will begin to remember after getting hammered by the issue. When I take a hiatus from video editing and return, as happened to me recently, I get stung all over again. It is a major pain to deal with this to the point where it may be best to live with undesired non-optimum project settings, and results.

Even if DR plans to some day allow post-project-creation flexibility here, if it's not anytime soon, maybe the above is a low-hanging-fruit resolution/stopgap.

I beg for this feature. Thank you.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 4:12 am

Hi

Resolve allows for multiple levels of flexibility in this front.

You can add a new timeline with a custom FPS setting and paste over clips from a previous timeline. This remains our recommended way of working with timelines of different frame rates regardless of what the project FPS is.

When starting, project settings presets allow you to recall specific settings - e.g My Netflix HDR Delivery, My NTSC SDR setting, My Slomo Youtube channel, etc - and start on the project immediately. Any new timeline you create in this preset will show these settings from there on.

Many users tend to use project copies (or import DRPs) to start with not just project presets but also preserve other info between their own "templates" (like media pool organisation, title presets / Fusion comps in the media pool, blank timelines etc).

And lastly, you can copy timelines between projects if your intention is to start over with new presets, but retain your work.

Regards
Shrinivas

KiKoMaSo

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:37 am

Hello,

My source images are 60 and 120fps.
My project was created in 24 (without realizing it) but I would like to have it in 60.

With the trick of Shrinivas Ramani, I managed to recover my project with the right number of images as I wanted. So I created a new personalized 60 timeline and I copy / paste the contents of the first one into it.
I had tried yesterday but I did not see that it was necessary to check the box to customize the number of frames in the timeline.

Thanks for your help ;)

KiKoMaSo

Re: [resolved] Modify the number of fps of a project

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:05 am

Little question:

I read that with the free version the timeline is limited to 60 fps but the Studio version can go up to 120.
Is it true ?
Where are they going to include the 120 in the free version soon?
This is the only thing I miss for my use, it's expensive the option if I take the Studio :D :D :D

Thx

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:26 am

We wont be supporting 120fps timeline frame rate in the free version.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

KiKoMaSo

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:04 am

OK thank you ;)

Ashley Thomas

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 4:13 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Resolve allows for multiple levels of flexibility in this front.

You can add a new timeline with a custom FPS setting and paste over clips from a previous timeline. This remains our recommended way of working with timelines of different frame rates regardless of what the project FPS is.
And lastly, you can copy timelines between projects if your intention is to start over with new presets, but retain your work.

Hi Shrinivas,

Thank you for the suggestions. I was aware of copy/pasting etc. but, correct if wrong, I do not think it represents an easy way out of a project already started at a particular FPS... let me explain...

The project I am working on has...
  • ~25 multicam clips, 4K@30 footage hosted in 1080@24 DR clip.
  • All 25 multicam clips, plus numerous other non-multicam clips, have time investment in aligning audio/video etc.
  • ~11 of those are currently used in what I will refer to as the main timeline, which is the timeline with the most effort invested. When this main timeline is exported to XML, there are about 117 clipitems fwiw.
Starting with the main timeline, if I simply create a new blank 4K@30 timeline then copy/paste the entire "main" 1080@24 timeline mentioned above, I end up with a 4K@30 timeline hosting (and internally converting) from the remaining underlying 1080@24 timelines/clips, which themselves have to be converted to 4K@30 (and 4K@60 as I have a mix) to truly achieve an efficient FPS change.

Perhaps I am naive here, but this seems inefficient and, correct if wrong, but does merely copy/pasting top clip end up upgrading unnecessarily downgraded underlying footage?

i.e., Original 4K@30->DR default 1080@24 (accidentally hosted here)->4K@30 (quick copy/paste fix).

I realize you may have been talking about a simple single level timeline with a few clips and simple edits... so no worries if accurate... just conveying the dilemma.

It seems, the steps are generally as follows...
  1. Start with main timeline, open it up.
  2. Find first clip, open it up. Recursively do this until at a "root" clip.
  3. Ensure that root clip is hosted in desired format, 4K@30 for example.
  4. Bubble up to timeline that clip was hosted in, replace instance of that clip with the new 4K@30 timeline.
  5. Repeat all of the above... I mean, it seems like one ends up in what seems to be a gnarly depth-first search/forge/fix effort.
I hope you can tell me I am over thinking it... but in my layperson's DR user head, I'm thinking, "I want to avoid unnecessary intra-app conversions for both perf and quality reasons so my goal is to host clips in timelines as close to the hosted clip/footage formats until they must be coerced, either in the "master" timeline or some intermediate step depending.

I have not found a way to quickly replace all clips in a timeline with some set of clips... unless I am to write a python script to automate the process.

And if I am to manually replace clips with a timeline that has many well-timed small edits, angle changes, it seems I'll be doing a lot of a mouse clicking etc. to replace each/every one individually.

To be clear, DR is really cool (understatement), and DR's licensing and other paradigms are really awesome... and this was technically operator error no doubt... I know fully that I must set the default beforehand else slap my forehead later when surprised or recalling. :o ... :D

The thing is, what I first mentioned... I sometimes take breaks and come back to editing... and I find sometimes I simply forget because this limitation did not exist with a prior leading NLE I once used.

As well, the drag/drop automatic prompt to change frame rate is unclear and somewhat unpredictable from a user's perspective. If I have both 1080@24 and 4K@30 footage that I drag into DR, the auto prompt will ask if I wish to change, where if I click OK/yes, it will use a different FPS depending on the order of my selection. (Behavior depends on whether your setup project, then import or drag/drop, or vice versa and mix of FPS footage.)

An aside: You can try this by creating a 30 and 24 mp4, then use file explorer to select in different order, and click/hold/drag into DR by clicking on different clip. You will get differing results depending. Add stills to the mix and it gets interest as they are apparently viewed as 24FPS. If you try different potential use cases (i.e., user sets up project, then drag/drops, or user drag/drops without setting up, etc.).

Perhaps now I will always go back and double-check project settings after initial drag/drop or import... LoL... but I think that's what I said last time. :D

Per above, I'm hoping you can outline upgrading multicam timelines, then replacing existing edits with new timeline is simple/quick. I have assumed not given what I've read/tried.

The feature recommended is simple/straightforward ... and a nice stopgap until such time something more can be done. It could also be reversed, defaulting to off, but users like me could check a box to disable auto-conversion of project settings along with enforcement of user manual establishment of project level FPS before starting. I would certainly select this option.

I always see messages from users asking about this issue, of project settings set to unexpected FPS without the ability to change... so it just seems worthwhile to have some some more forceful app blocks preventing automatic acceptance of defaults.

Regardless.. thanks again for your tips... good to have generally...
Ashley

Ashley Thomas

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 6:51 am

Hi Shrinivas,

I performed a couple of tests, each test nesting timelines many levels deep. Some varied resolution for each nest, others FPS.

Remarkably the resolution changes were handled nicely.

FPS tests showed DR using the nested timeline's clip's FPS, at least with simple timelines, which also was impressive.

With copy/paste tests at top-level, one issue observed related to use of a fusion clip containing an animation that would have supposedly been created based on an editor's sense of time while visually assessing footage while using the tools to animate (i.e., and not paying attention to frame counts). In that case, if that clip was hosted in a 24FPS timeline, an animation that should have 24 frames take one second, ended up taking less than a second after copy/pasted to the 30FPS timeline. For example, if a box moves from A to B in 24 frames (1 second in original timeline), it would still move from A to B in 24 frames after being copy/pasted from a 24FPS timeline to a 30FPS timeline. The resulting animation then takes less than a second, not the editor's original sense of time when (accidentally) editing that clip with the default 24FPS setup.

Because of the sheer vastness of DR, I'm remiss to assume there are not other cases where copy/paste of a top-level timeline won't translate things properly.

Thanks,
Ashley

Return to DaVinci Resolve