Studio h.265 .mp4 export not working with amd gpu

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

braddude

Studio h.265 .mp4 export not working with amd gpu

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 5:05 am

I am not able to successfully export 1080p h.265 .mp4 using either the native or amd encoder in Resolve Studio 17.4 or 17.3.2. Attempting the h.265 export using the native encoder locks up resolve requiring a forced shutdown. Using the amd encoder option yields "Render job failed, Cannot find appropriate codec for encoding the video frame."

I have no problems with h.264 exports using either encoder option. I am running Windows 10 pro 21H1 on a Ryzen 5 3600 cpu with an amd rx 570 4GB gpu. Google and forum searches did not yield anything definitive. I would appreciate any thoughts about this issue. I can supply error logs if requested.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Studio h.265 .mp4 export not working with amd gpu

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 5:39 am

Thanks Brad

When you see this error, please select Help > Create diagnostic logs.

Open Windows system information, File > Save > .NFO file.

Please add these files to a file sharing site, right click and generate a shareable link. and include the URL here.

Regards
Shrinivas

bluewave

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 5:45 am

I am having the same issue with Davinci 17.4 (Free) version on Windows 10, with an AMD laptop with a dedicated Nvidia RTX3080 GPU.

Attempting to export a video to H265 results in the same error message even with the lowest quality settings.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 6:25 am

Brad and Richard,

Can I check that you're on the latest GPU drivers?

Our general recommendation for checking driver issues are as follows:
a. For Nvidia you need to download the latest studio drivers form https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx, and during installation, select Custom > Clean Installation.
b. For AMD, you will need to download the appropriate installer from https://www.amd.com/en/support, cleanly uninstall your existing drivers (e.g using a third party utility like DDU) and install from scratch.
c. If you have your windows updates set to update drivers as well, please explicitly uncheck this setting to prevent conflicts.

Regards
Shrinivas

braddude

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 7:07 pm

Shrinivas, thank you for your reply to this issue. After updating my gpu to the latest radeon graphics drivers, I now have a slightly different behavior exporting h.265 video in Studio 17.4. Using the amd encoder option now works fine. When selecting the native encoder, the export begins successfully and then freezes midway thru the process and then requires a forced shutdown of resolve as it did before updating my drivers.

If you have not already downloaded the files that were previously linked in this post, please let me know and I will PM you a sharable link.
Last edited by braddude on Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 1:50 am

Hi

A system shutdown more often than not indicates an underlying hardware problem - like insufficient thermal management or PSU wattage. It may be worth checking out solutions specific to your system first.

Regards
Shrinivas

braddude

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:38 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi

A system shutdown more often than not indicates an underlying hardware problem - like insufficient thermal management or PSU wattage. It may be worth checking out solutions specific to your system first.

Regards
Shrinivas

There was no system shut down involved. If you re-read my post, you will see that I said that resolve locked up/froze and required a forced shut down, not Windows. I have no underlying hardware problems. My only current problem is that resolve studio refuses to successfully export H.265 video using the native encoder.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 3:15 am

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

braddude

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 3:47 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

Shrinivas, Were you able to download and look at the diagnostic files and my system info that I linked before? If not, let me know and I will PM you the link as I removed the previous shared link. If so, any further thoughts how to solve the h.265 native encoder problem I described above?

bluewave

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 10:10 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Brad and Richard,

Can I check that you're on the latest GPU drivers?

Our general recommendation for checking driver issues are as follows:
a. For Nvidia you need to download the latest studio drivers form https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx, and during installation, select Custom > Clean Installation.
b. For AMD, you will need to download the appropriate installer from https://www.amd.com/en/support, cleanly uninstall your existing drivers (e.g using a third party utility like DDU) and install from scratch.
c. If you have your windows updates set to update drivers as well, please explicitly uncheck this setting to prevent conflicts.

Regards
Shrinivas

Hi Shrinivas

I am already running on the latest version of the NVidia Studio driver.
The error is still present on both Davinci 17.4 and 17.4.1

braddude

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 4:45 pm

bluewave wrote:Hi Shrinivas

FWIW, it appears that this issue is already in Shrinivas' rear view mirror at this point.

bluewave

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 1:14 pm

braddude wrote:
bluewave wrote:Hi Shrinivas

FWIW, it appears that this issue is already in Shrinivas' rear view mirror at this point.

Yeah I basically just gave up on using H265 with the free version of Davinci Resolve. Can't get any official support help as a Free user, and little to no expectation of a free user on the forums receiving much love from Davinci. I should be thankful that I can still use the free version for H264 but this sorta experience just makes me think twice each time I contemplate on paying for the Paid license.

Return to DaVinci Resolve