Limiter

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

lmac666

Limiter

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:39 am

I’m trying to use the Limiter in DaVinci to minimise high peaking audio.

I set the threshold to -6 and yet I’m still getting audio that’s peaking at +5.

I don’t quite understand why it would be peaking if the limiter has been set to -6.

Would anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this?

Reynaud Venter

Re: Limiter

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:43 am

The Fairlight Limiter in the Dynamics Processor is based on the UREI 1176 Peak Limiting Amplifier, except Fairlight uses a fixed 20:1 ratio (the highest available setting on the 1176).

The Fairlight Limiter's Makeup provides a maximum setting of +20dB.

Assuming an input signal of -20dBFS, with the Threshold at -20dB and the Makeup Gain at +20dB, the output will be exactly 0dBFS, with no gain reduction.

Assuming an input signal of -20dBFS, but with the Threshold at its default -21dB setting, and the Makeup still at +20dB, produces 1dB of gain reduction, and the output signal will reduce to -1dBFS.

The input level in to the Fairlight Dynamics Processor can determine the amount of gain reduction separately from the Threshold, which is identical in behaviour to the 1176 which provided a fixed threshold.

Assuming an input signal of 0dBFS, with the Threshold at its default -21dB setting, and the Makeup at +20dB, produces an output signal of exactly 0dBFS, but with significant gain reduction.

The Fairlight Compressor will behave in an identical fashion to the Fairlight Limiter when configured with a maximum ratio of 20:1 and a Threshold of -21dB, similarly to an Omnipressor.

The Fairlight Limiter AFX provides True Peak Limiting.

lmac666

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:01 am

Thanks for that reply.

I’m slowly trying to wrap my head around that information. I don’t have an extensive background in sound so I’m still try to process that but thank you.

The Fairlight Limiter AFX, I couldn’t seem to find that in DaVinci. Do you know where that is?

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:06 am

The Fairlight Limiter AFX is available via the:
Effects panel > Audio Effects > Fairlight FX > Limiter
Fairlight Mixer Channel Insert > Dynamics > Fairlight FX > Limiter

lmac666

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 12:32 am

Thanks for that. I've had a look everywhere but I can't seem to find the Fairlight Limiter AFX tool anywhere. All there is just the Limiter and AU Peak Limiter.

Return to DaVinci Resolve