Anamorphic Video and Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

markr041

Anamorphic Video and Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 7:04 pm

I am using an anamorphic lens. I go in clip attributes to change the pixel aspect ratio, but I see only a limited set of choices. The best choice, so subjects in the center do not look too wide, is 1.25X. However, this is a bit too much.

Is there a way to select a custom PAR in clip attributes - I likely need 1.2X (yes, this is an odd lens). Or is there some other way to de-squeeze appropriately?
Mark Rosenzweig

UserNoah

Re: Anamorphic Video and Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 8:05 pm

I'm unsure if Resolve has any way to desqueeze with a custom ratio but Fusion definitely can. I would suggest using Fusion Studio/Standalone so you don't have the MediaIn conversions from the Fusion Page and work with the full resolution.

In Fusion Studio you can use a Loader to bring your footage in, then a Resize tool to desqueeze the footage and save it back to disk using the saver tool.

If you have a Resolve Studio license or dongle you can also run Fusion Studio.

Black Winter

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:18 pm

Well, we anamorphic nerds follow Tito Ferradan's method - the pixel aspect ratio should be set to Square. Simply go to the Edit pade, unlink the X and Y clip tranforms and set the X zoom to whatever is needed, like 1.200.
Using this all the time, as my weird lenses have the squeeze factors of 1.93 and 1.987 :)

ZRGARDNE

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 12:07 am

If you Video a vertical and horizontal ruler you can calculate the actual squeeze of your lens.

Do it at a few focal distances, lower cost lens can change quite a bit from minimum to infinity.

markr041

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks for the tips - no more fattened people in my clips using the x/y method!
Mark Rosenzweig

Sven H

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 5:24 am

I know I'm late to the party but I would like to add that roundtripping and unlinking X and Y in the edit page is a bad idea if there are animations / zooms in the edit.

A better way might be to change the width in the Input Sizing window inside the color page. Those parameters won't be affected by AAFs and you can also save them as a preset.

robert Hart

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 3:18 pm

If anyone has the patience to write down a few steps for a learner driver these would be appreciated.

I have been using Resolve 16 as an editor for a while but very recently experimented with a 2x anamorphic adaptor after machining the necessary mounts.

I have recorded on an Ursa 4.6K in the anamorphic squeeze mode. I found that I am unable to achieve good resolution on output and Resolve warns that the resolution will suffer because the timeline resolution is lower than the intended output.

I have the Studio version of resolve 16 and a dongle plugged in.

So much I have managed to work out. - Project settings require the correct horizontal and vertical pixel count and expand to frame size.

There may be a tutorial for dummies somewhere but I have not been able to dig it up yet.

The exported files I have so far achieved are quite soft. I know the vision is not as sharp as it could be but it seems also to drop in quality when being exported.

Cheers.

Sven H

PostWed May 04, 2022 8:07 am

robert Hart wrote:If anyone has the patience to write down a few steps for a learner driver these would be appreciated.

I have been using Resolve 16 as an editor for a while but very recently experimented with a 2x anamorphic adaptor after machining the necessary mounts.

I have recorded on an Ursa 4.6K in the anamorphic squeeze mode. I found that I am unable to achieve good resolution on output and Resolve warns that the resolution will suffer because the timeline resolution is lower than the intended output.

I have the Studio version of resolve 16 and a dongle plugged in.

So much I have managed to work out. - Project settings require the correct horizontal and vertical pixel count and expand to frame size.

There may be a tutorial for dummies somewhere but I have not been able to dig it up yet.

The exported files I have so far achieved are quite soft. I know the vision is not as sharp as it could be but it seems also to drop in quality when being exported.

Cheers.

If resolve warns you about a resolution problem than you should probably first check your timeline resolution settings. A warning usually happens when there is a mismatch between timeline resolution and output resolution (render settings). Best way would be to set the timeline resolution to the desired output.

The attached video looks extremely soft, are you sure render settings are set up correct? do not check the "use cached files" box and don't use proxies.

To give you a detailed answer, I'd need a few more infos on what's going on. What's the recorded resolution of the footage?

This might even deserve its own post, since we might go too far from the original thread.

ScottAckerlund

PostSun Jun 25, 2023 3:43 am

UserNoah wrote:I'm unsure if Resolve has any way to desqueeze with a custom ratio but Fusion definitely can. I would suggest using Fusion Studio/Standalone so you don't have the MediaIn conversions from the Fusion Page and work with the full resolution.

In Fusion Studio you can use a Loader to bring your footage in, then a Resize tool to desqueeze the footage and save it back to disk using the saver tool.

If you have a Resolve Studio license or dongle you can also run Fusion Studio.

Wow this saved my life. Wherever you are Noah, thank you so much. I had some 4448x3096 footage coming into Fusion Studio reading as PAR - 1:0.5 and it was throwing all my trackers off. I instead changed the loader from "From File", which was giving me the odd PAR, to "Default" in the import tab. Now the loader was reading as 1:1 and then using a resize node I manually changed the PAR to 2:1. Now the trackers are working as expected. Hope this helps anyone else out there.

Return to DaVinci Resolve