Resolve Locking Up

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rossdixon

Resolve Locking Up

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 7:33 pm

A sad day happened not so long ago and my beloved Mac Pro went to the great apple store in the sky.
Now, I was faced with the decision of invest heavily in soon to be out of date tech, or get something new that I know I will be pushing the limits of. After after seeing all the hype and reviews of how good the M1 is despite its low spec (and how cheep it is) I decided to go the later, then upgrade when the tech has become more established and a more beefy option is available.
Now Im in trouble.

From here I'm talking about inside the edit tab, doing very basic editing with no grade or fusion or other fx applied.
Don't get me wrong, my experience of the playback os 4.6k BRAW, ProRes422, h264 and RED footage is as good as what I've seen in reviews. However, the interface keeps locking up. Like CONSTANTLY. It sorts itself out after a minute or two, but it's basically making editing impossible. It took me a day (and a years worth of swearing) to do 30 min of editing.
Its so odd as its nothing to do with the actual footage, its simply Davinci. Every 2/3 clicks I make (e.g. selecting a clip, zooming in on the timeline, scrolling along the timeline (not scrubbing, literally just scrolling along), right clicking etc causes it to lock up and give me the rainbow beachball of doom.

Everything software and project related is stored on the internal ssd and I'm stumped as to what is causing this when seemingly no-one else has this issue.

The CPU/GPU load is really low, but it looks like it keeps maxing out the memory. Purging the memory and lowering the limit in preferences does little/nothing to help. Every once in a while I seem to "break" it (no ideal how) and then it works like a dream with no locking up at all, until I have to quit or restart.

Ive uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times and tried old versions from 17 upwards.

Has anyone else come across this? Or have any ideas of how to help?

Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 19.48.19.png
Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 19.48.19.png (92.66 KiB) Viewed 133 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve