17.4 Mac OS Full screen mode option?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mattfezz

17.4 Mac OS Full screen mode option?

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:53 pm

Hi there, after updating to 17.4 resolve seems to want to run it its own space or something - I cannot locate the full screen mode option that I believe was in the workspace menu.

Is it possible to add the option to revert to the old full-screen behaviour? It makes switching between apps much easier in my opinion.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

adolfo

Re: 17.4 Mac OS Full screen mode option?

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 12:08 am

+1

We've also lost the top menu bar. It now auto hides and flashes when accessing. When reaching for any of the Resolve UI at the top of the screen it's easy to accidentally show the menu and cover the UI underneath it and have to wait for it to timeout before you can click on the UI beneath it.

It's difficult to drag files like XMLs or Media into Resolve from Finder when in native fullscreen.

Whenever opening a new app it now opens in a secondary display instead of the primary display because Resolve is "native" fullscreen. This would be fine if I had 2 standard displays, but my second display is an iPad mini for Resolve scopes (using Sidecar) so now I have all these apps crammed into this tiny screen. :lol:

The menu bar is also helpful in full screen for keeping an eye on the system clock and other widgets like CPU/GPU/Disk activity.

I'm sure this was done to automatically handle the notch on the new MBP, but it would be nice to have the option the previous behavior.
Last edited by adolfo on Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattfezz

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 am

also cannot hide resolve... the option in the menu is greyed out.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 12.00.35 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 12.00.35 pm.png (31.12 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini

bburkley

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 1:30 am

+1

Super annoying. That title bar keeps popping up whenever you move your mouse up to the menu. Someone please fix, I know this is probably a MacOS functionality that needs to be added to give us the option to show/hide the title bar now - after we now have the ability to permanently keep the menu bar in Monterey, thank you - but maybe BM can bring back their version of Full Screen mode until then?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 6.18.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 6.18.08 PM.png (72.27 KiB) Viewed 3009 times

mattfezz

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 10:26 pm

kind of weird behaviour too in dual screen mode - the primary display cannot have any other apps go in front where as the secondary display can.

I've had to revert to 17.3 with the "Full Screen Window" Option ticked in the workspace menu as 17.4 became unusable for the way I work (needing to quickly refer to notes/emails/references) having to switch desktop spaces all the time. Maybe with time I could adjust, but it is way slower for productivity.

Love everything else about the update though! Hopefully this change can be reverted/tweaked.

Richard Dean

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 1:19 am

I haven't done anything in 17.4 yet, so can't comment on this but I tend to keep notes on 2nd screen and can read them while in Resolve while it's active and working. Don't know that I'd want the notes on the main screen. I'd love Resolve to get script based editing like Avid.

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 2:17 am

+1000 for an option to have the old fullscreen back
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

mattfezz

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 1:08 am

Richard Dean wrote:I haven't done anything in 17.4 yet, so can't comment on this but I tend to keep notes on 2nd screen and can read them while in Resolve while it's active and working. Don't know that I'd want the notes on the main screen. I'd love Resolve to get script based editing like Avid.

this is true, but not being able to drag it from one screen to the other is annoying, and sometimes an app opens up on the other display which is now in its own space which has to be switched to which the other screen is is another space....overall it just slows things down a lot.

Not being able to command-tap on the primary without switching space is also annoying.

I guess If it doesn't change then ill just have to be more disciplined about which things are on which display, but the old way was definitely faster for me and much more flexible.

Frank Engel

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 1:37 am

What is being described here is standard behavior for an application in full-screen on macOS, and has been for several versions of macOS now. Chrome behaves the same way, as do many other apps when running on the platform. It has both pros and cons.

To get out of full-screen mode, bump the mouse against the top of the screen and click the green button on the title bar. Use the same button to go back into full screen mode. The "zoom" function ("maximize" for Windoze users) that the green button was originally meant to be used for can still be accessed by holding down the option key while clicking on the green button (when not in full-screen mode).

When the application is in full-screen mode it is indeed effectively in its own independent "space" for those familiar with the concept. The "hide" feature is disabled in this case, but you can switch to another app with Command+Tab and the full-screen app, being in its own space, will in effect be hidden anyway.

To drag something from the finder into a full-screen app without first taking it out of full-screen mode, start dragging it, and while holding down the mouse button, use Command+Tab to switch to the other app, then drop what you are dragging where you want it to go.

Jason Conrad

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 2:10 am

Well, the obvious solution; for drag and drop, if you don’t have another screen, don’t go fullscreen.

But you can also use trackpad gestures, hot keys, or hot corners to navigate exposé, and you can drag and drop between spaces. It can be tricky if all you use is trackpad gestures, but it’s possible.

You have to drag with a full press (not drag-lock), and keep the pad depressed while performing the gestures with the other free fingers. I use three finger swipe up to reveal desktop and three finger swipe left/right for previous and next space, keeping the pad depressed with my thumb. Feels awkward at first, but after a while it makes a mouse feel restrictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

mattfezz

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 4:24 am

fair enough, I just prefer the "full screen window" option like there was in previous versions of resolve. Personal preference I guess, but would be great to have it back as I've worked with it now for years every day and change is scary :p

TheBloke

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 12:01 pm

I just wanted to say that I love the new 17.4 native Full Screen option. It works really well for me.

So, if ever BMD consider bringing back the old one, please make it optional.

What I especially appreciate about the new mode is that in a dual-screen setup, when the main Resolve window is in native Full Screen (in its own space), the second screen window goes into a mode that's kind of like the old Full Screen Window. That's not quite as good as it being a proper native Full Screen window in its own Space, but it's nearly as good.

In 17.3.2 and before, the dual-screen mode put a window on the second monitor that disappeared every time Resolve lost focus. That annoyed me, to the point where I stopped regularly using dual screen. Because the Media Pool appears in that second screen window, it made it harder to drag and drop to the second screen, because clicking into Path Finder (on a third monitor) made Resolve's second window disappear.

But now the second screen window is always visible, even as I click to another monitor or change Space. Works way better.

All that said, I have noticed some glitches. Like one time the monitors seemed to swap - Resolve went from being Full Screen on monitor 1 (main 4K), to Full Screen on monitor 2, and the dual-screen window moved to monitor 1 instead. That will be annoying if that keeps happening.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

franciscovaldez

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 12:38 pm

Frank Engel wrote:What is being described here is standard behavior for an application in full-screen on macOS, and has been for several versions of macOS now. Chrome behaves the same way, as do many other apps when running on the platform. It has both pros and cons.

To get out of full-screen mode, bump the mouse against the top of the screen and click the green button on the title bar. Use the same button to go back into full screen mode. The "zoom" function ("maximize" for Windoze users) that the green button was originally meant to be used for can still be accessed by holding down the option key while clicking on the green button (when not in full-screen mode).

When the application is in full-screen mode it is indeed effectively in its own independent "space" for those familiar with the concept. The "hide" feature is disabled in this case, but you can switch to another app with Command+Tab and the full-screen app, being in its own space, will in effect be hidden anyway.

To drag something from the finder into a full-screen app without first taking it out of full-screen mode, start dragging it, and while holding down the mouse button, use Command+Tab to switch to the other app, then drop what you are dragging where you want it to go.

I understand this is the standard macOS full screen behavior. I never liked it and never use it, but in most applications I don't need the extra space as I do in Resolve.

Also in Resolve, on top of being a fixed graphic interface, there tends to be a lot of mouse action from the top for menus to all the way to the bottom, to go the color or edit pages, which makes accidentally invoking the dock very likely when going from top to bottom very fast... That was my personal experience while testing, so I just dropped that approach.

For now, full screen seems to be the only approach for my work.

That said, I find the full screen menu and tab command animations slow me down.

And needing two hands for a simple drag and drop cumbersome.

Gone are the days I could sip from my tea while fetching and dragging clips from my finder.

And thanks for the tips. I actually didn't know how to do a drag and drop to Resolve on the new full screen until it was brought to my attention.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

TheBloke

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 4:13 pm

TheBloke wrote:All that said, I have noticed some glitches. Like one time the monitors seemed to swap - Resolve went from being Full Screen on monitor 1 (main 4K), to Full Screen on monitor 2, and the dual-screen window moved to monitor 1 instead. That will be annoying if that keeps happening.

EDIT: this issue was fixed in 17.4.1, so I've gone back to very happy with the new Resolve window behaviour on macOS :)

BMD Speed Editor

adolfo

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Also have noticed that in this new full screen mode, rendering stops when the app's space isn't in the foreground. You need to exit full screen mode if you want to render while also doing something else. :roll:

TheBloke

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 8:44 am

adolfo wrote:Also have noticed that in this new full screen mode, rendering stops when the app's space isn't in the foreground. You need to exit full screen mode if you want to render while also doing something else. :roll:
That would be a very weird problem if true. But I can't recreate it. Renders continue fine when I change space away from a native full screen Resolve.

BMD Speed Editor

Darren Joy

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 6:39 pm

I really would like to have the old full screen window option back, it was the best way to use the program.

Running the app in its own space means you don't see the menus, and have to hover in what you hope is the right place, wait for them to pop down, adjust to get to the right menu place, execute desired function. The old full-screen window mode they were just "there" and you could go straight to them, (plus keep an eye on all my system icons and clock).

The "windowed" mode now means you now have the Dock visible, which is annoying and cumbersome, unless you disable it for *all* screens, which I don't want to do.

Nothing was broken, it worked just right, why did someone have to change it?

That and the ongoing UI display corruption issues which haven't been fixed, make me think I'll have to go back to 17.0 again, which was the last version which didn't have any issues. :cry:

studio1492

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 11:58 pm

Darren Joy wrote:I really would like to have the old full screen window option back, it was the best way to use the program.

+1

The fixed app minimum width is super annoying. I loved that before GUI was able to support 1352x878 resolution which is perfect for my senior eyes on 14" laptops, but now DVR doesn't wants to fit on the screen, those little GUI font & icon sizes hurt my tired eyes.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Uli Plank

PostSat Jul 30, 2022 10:02 am

But I can switch between full screen mode and window mode at any time with the green dot in the upper left.
So that doesn't work for you?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

studio1492

PostSat Jul 30, 2022 1:57 pm

Uli Plank wrote:So that doesn't work for you?

I'm a fast keyboard shortcut guy, using the mouse breaks my work flow and working ergonomy. Switching from full screen to float screen is something I recall often. I find no sense that this has been removed from menu, so it can not be assigned to keyboard shortcut. Even the most simple macOS apps have full screen mode on their menus. Why it has been removed?
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Return to DaVinci Resolve