Disable new (17.4) subtitle "auto resize" backgrounds

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andrew Bennett

Disable new (17.4) subtitle "auto resize" backgrounds

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 pm

Just upgraded from 17.3 to 17.4 ...

Among the new features, copied from Peter Chamberlain's post: "Subtitles can auto resize backgrounds and decompose to parent timeline."

Now all my subtitle backgrounds have been autoresized! I want them back the way they were, but I can't seem to find a checkbox in the subtitle inspector to revert back to my one-size-fits-all-solution, which I prefer aesthetically in this case.

Any solutions?

Also, maybe a separate thread: I'm not sure what "decompose to parent timeline" means?

Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Disable new (17.4) subtitle "auto resize" backgrounds

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:36 am

Moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

g3ntile

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:04 pm

Exactly.
The auto subtitle-background width is great as long as it's an optional feature. If it's the only way to have the background it's a bug.
I upgraded in the middle of a project, and had to downgrade because of that.
And (badly enough) I discovered that after the upgrade/downgrade trip, ALL the clip's positions were reset to Zero.
Meaning: all fusion overlays and lower thirds (that project had many of those) were in the center of the screen.
All "zoomed in" clips were misaligned, showing something other than the detail intended.
I had to scrub all the timeline and compare clip by clip with a rendered preview to eyeball each clip to to reposition it in its original place.
Before 17 I never had an issue upgrading. All 17 versions beyond 17.1.1 were problematic for me for some reason.
17.4 looks like a half baked alpha. Blackmagic, you were always very careful with the releases and trustworthy please, don't become Adobe...

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 2:04 am

Hi Pablo

Do you have the original project for the position and zoom issues? Can you pass us a link to the DRP?

Thanks
Shrinivas

g3ntile

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 7:24 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi Pablo

Do you have the original project for the position and zoom issues? Can you pass us a link to the DRP?

Thanks
Shrinivas

I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to share my client contents or projects, I've signed a very strict NDA...

Anyway, my current most pressing issue is with the subs background. I need to be able to have the subs background set to the full width of the screen. Right now I'm using a cropped Solid on top of everything, but it renders the "place on top" command completely useless, because the new clips gets placed on top of the solid, adding the extra step of lowering each clip or the whole track, and keeping an eye for errors. This really hinders my workflow.
The auto size is great, as long as the "fixed width and height" is still available.

Thank you for your interest

g3ntile

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 9:12 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi Pablo

Thanks
Shrinivas

Anyway, I guess it should be easy to reproduce, what triggered the bug was:
1. I created a project in 17.1.1
2. the project had:
> small motion graphics interventions made in fusion, placed in a corner via the position set in the Edit page inspector
> some clips zoomed-in in the inspector, and repositioned in the inspector to display a detail not in the center of the original frame
3. I upgraded to 17.4
4. I opened the project in 17.4, and tried to work there. The issue with the subs background made it impossible to switch mid project. Obviously the project was saved in 17.4.
5. I rolled back to 17.1.1 and reopened the project
6. All the Edit page Inspector position data was reset to zero/zero.
I hope this is useful to spot some bug.

(anyway, I insist, the worst issue is the change in the subtitles background behavior)

Thank you

Andy Mees

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 10:25 pm

g3ntile wrote:(anyway, I insist, the worst issue is the change in the subtitles background behavior)

Absolutely. On paper, 17.4 is a valuable upgrade full of small but useful tweaks and improvements... but when one of those tweaks wholesale changes a function, such that existing workflows using that function are retroactively affected, you've got to question the decision making.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Andrew Bennett

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 8:30 pm

Thanks for the replies, good to know it wasn't just me!

Any solutions?

Is there a hidden "disable" feature somewhere for subtitle background autoresize? (Or, apparently, other fusion elements, although that's not my issue.)

Or some way to override the background? Currently, the "Video=>Style=>Background" inspector for subtitles only has "color", "outline color", "outline width", "corner radius", and "opacity"... no background width/height as needed to get those boxes back to the standard size they were before...

If it's truly just a bug or an overlooked feature, I'll hang tight for the next version, hopefully it gets Resolved...love working with DR, happy to go along with the growing pains!

A

Andy Mees

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 10:20 pm

Andrew Bennett wrote:Any solutions?

Not as such... but what you can do is manually add a cropped black solid (or as needed) to create your own fixed background as a separate element, underneath each subtitle instance on the topmost video track. Its long-winded and very manual but it has the same effect. Obviously you also need to remember to turn off this additional background track if and whenever you export without subtitles.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Andrew Bennett

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 10:26 pm

Good idea, Andy, I should have thought of that! A bit long winded maybe, but simple. I'll do it, thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 6:42 am

Please try 17.4.1
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

g3ntile

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 12:46 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Please try 17.4.1

Downloading right now!
I hope this got fixed.
I like working in Resolve a lot the workflow is very well thought (I like it enough to start learning fusion to fully replace AE for motion graphics).
Switched from premiere years ago. And one of the best "features" of Resolve is that BM addressed one by one all issues I had very quickly. And on top of that, added 4 or 5 new features nobody expected every time.
On Ad*be apps there's quirks and bugs and annoyances that are there since the '90s and asking in their forums is like burning a paper with the issue written and scattering the ashes.
I don't want to turn this thread in an ad*be hate page, just to point out that I love how Blackmagic keeps improving an already awesome Software, and taking usability and workflow seriously. For extremely small studios like mine, this is gold.

Really looking forward to see this subs issue fixed (I do corporate video, that many times play their videos with no sound on those TVs– so I deliver 99.9% of my work with burn-in subtitles and the bkg is a must :smile: .

g3ntile

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 3:53 pm

Fixed!
Thank you everyone at BM!

Andy Mees

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 8:15 pm

g3ntile wrote:Fixed!

Thats sounds promising Pablo, thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve