JL Cooper panel not recognized

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

George Carlston

JL Cooper panel not recognized

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:50 am

I have a fresh install of Resolve Studio 17 (now 17.4) on a new to me late 2013 Mac Pro, 2.7GHz, 12 core, 64GB RAM, D700GPUs, running OS 11.6.

I can't get Resolve to recognize my JL Cooper CX Midnight panel. It's showing green on the network page in system preferences, and I've tried numerous IP and router addresses on the panel and in Resolve, but it's not showing up.

For reference, I finally retired the cheese grater that I'd used the past ten years with this panel and MCS Spectrum panels before it throughout that whole time (last version of Resolve on it was 15).

I don't know if I'm completely missing something in my setup or whether this panel just won't work with Resolve anymore, but the option is still listed in system preferences in Resolve, so I'm hoping I can still use these. If anyone has any tips or guidance I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20211025-204603.zip
(667.85 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

George Carlston

Re: JL Cooper panel not recognized

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 2:26 am

One more piece of info it it matters: I'm not seeing Resolve look for panels on startup. Not sure if the means anything but it always flashed across the bottom of the screen during start up on previous versions.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 4:31 am

Can you try v16?
Due to covid restrictions there is no one in the office to be able to verify with a panel so at least v16 is worth a try.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 5:37 am

I have no access to such a panel. But I have confirmation from the dev team that the panel works with Resolve 17.4 on Mac. Both an iMac with Catalina and an M1 Mac with Big Sur.

So it should work with your 6,1 MacPro with Big Sur.

The dev team noted that they needed to do a direct Ethernet connection to the panel and set the Mac IP address to match the panel IP address subnet.

So if your panel IP was 10.10.20.10 you'd want to manually set the Mac Ethernet address of the port connected to the panel to 10.10.20.5 or something like that. The last number can be anything but 10, and probably avoid 0 and 255.

Once you have the panel direct connected and the IPs appropriately set, verify that you can ping the panel. If you can ping it, it should work with Resolve, assuming you've selected that panel type in Resolve Preferences - System - Control Panels area, and entered the correct panel IP and Port number.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve