Initial project setup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kosmonavt

Initial project setup

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 8:21 am

Dear friends, my question is about TimeLine format and video monitoring settings.

I have two types of video: professional TV camera and GoPro.

I am creating a new project. Depending on which file I first throw on the timeline, it suggests changing its settings. What should I choose? What does this affect?

The finished video will be posted on YouTube.

TV camera with interacing

GoPro

Uli Plank

Re: Initial project setup

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 am

If you have Studio, use the interlace version and let DR de-interlace the camera. Shoot the GoPro in 50p.
You'll end up with 50p, which should be OK for YT. If you like, and have a fast GPU, throw the whole 50p timeline into a 30p or 60p one and let DR convert it.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Initial project setup

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 am

Start with what your destination frame rate should be.

You hopefully shot at that rate, or faster/slower for speed effects.

Do if you did, drag those clips in first, or set the project setting FPS prior to putting anything into the Media pool.

Then drag the other clips and they will auto conform to the timeline frame rate.

for video monitor, if you have an external monitor on a BMD I/O device, you can set that when you like.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve