17.4 is a dream

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Allen24

17.4 is a dream

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 12:40 am

Took a 6K RED CLIP into Premiere Pro 22 (todays release), could not play it and didn't even understand the color. Took the same 6K clip into Resolve 17.4 and not only did it play it like butter (.3 would not play it smoothly) - it understood the color perfectly! How can Premiere Pro be this much behind the curve! But I am thrilled that I took the plunge into Resolve months ago. The .4 upgrade is sooooooo good!
Blackmagic is a small company compared to Adobe... so how is Adobe so...behind?! So blah!?

Unfortunately I need to keep Adobe because I need After Effects and more, but geeeezzz!

Allen

Marcus Herrick

Re: 17.4 is a dream

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 2:45 am

Many of us have replaced After Effects with Fusion and are very happy.

Allen24

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 12:38 am

Fusion is definitely a possibility but its soooo convoluted. And when it comes to pure graphic design - nothing on the planet can touch After Effects. I've tried Fusion a few times, and its so many steps to do the simplest things. It's just not logical. But I can see its value if you don't wanna deal with Adobe. But I also need illustrator and photoshop, All my clients logos are from illustrator.
But now I only open Premiere to see how bad it is. The new one was just released yesterday and already its got a hundred bug complaints. I have found no problems with Resolve 17.4... so far. Can you even imagine Resolve 18 ?!

If only a could bring Photoshop lays into Resolve. I haven't tried it yet...so hmmm??

Roen Davis

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 2:07 am

Marcus Herrick wrote:Many of us have replaced After Effects with Fusion and are very happy.

+ 1
...not replaced but doing more and more...
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Jason Conrad

17.4 is a dream

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 3:01 am

Allen24 wrote:I've tried Fusion a few times, and its so many steps to do the simplest things. It's just not logical.

Then why do you think more programs are moving toward a node-based paradigm?

Specifically, Blender and C4D are new to the party, but traditionally, *most* compositing software is node-based. Nuke, Houdini, Shake, Silhouette, Substance Designer...

Hell, Adobe *themselves* eventually added the flowchart view to AE as a tacit admission that layers are an insufficient metaphor for temporal media.

Layers work great for stills, but nobody photoshops at 60FPS.

And given that there’s a free version of Fusion, it’s probably not a bad idea to spend a little extra time learning the logic used by nearly the entire VFX industry.

I do agree that Fusion has hang ups and workflow issues. There are dozens of places it could learn from those other programs, and AE might even have a few lessons for Fusion, but its core principles aren’t among them.

The day Fusion asks me if I want to “move existing attributes into a new precomposition” is the day I chuck my laptop into the nearest river and take up needlepoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

RedRider14

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 3:52 am

Allen, if you ever need a Photoshop/Illustrator alternative, Affinity Designer is a winner.
Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz 64GB RAM Windows10
nVidia RTX3080ti Suprim GPU Studio Driver 537.58
Media drive Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
Dual 32" monitors + Intensity Shuttle to 46" panel
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 Desktop Video 12.4
CEO PostFacility 44yrs

rNeil H

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 4:12 am

Wonder why your rig has so much trouble with the RED media?

My PC plays 6k r3d files just fine, as easily as in Resolve on my rig. And the full RED panel in the Source tab has the full RED color controls, don't understand what's confusing there ... but everyone's mileage always varies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dave4443

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 7:54 am

Allen24 wrote:Fusion is definitely a possibility but its soooo convoluted.

I agree on this, I use Fusion sometimes to save myself the hassle of moving over to After effects, but it's too many steps to do the simplest of things, text and shapes are a hassle in Fusion but they're so straight forward in After effects

Return to DaVinci Resolve