External Drives Madness

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ale_V_88

External Drives Madness

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 9:57 am

Hello everyone,

it is my first post on this forum so I'd like to thank everyone in advance for your precious advice.

I have bought (many) years ago a BMPC 4K, I had used it back at the time but no it's been years that I haven't done much.

I am working on this machine:
Mac Pro (late 2013)
Processor: 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory: 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
GPU: AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

I remember, when I bought my BMPC, that I used to grade the raw files either with the original files on my HD or simply leaving them with on the SSD connected to the computer and everything would ran smoothly.

I now tried to shoot some Apple Pro Res 422 HQ but, leaving them on the very same SSD (normal Samsung Solid State), Davinci Resolve goes extremely slow and I have problem even just looking at the files without adjustments.
I tested both the SSDs I've got on BlackMagic Disk Speed Test App and they both scored around 360 MB/s in writing and 350 MB/s in reading.
The crazy thing is that if I move the files to a normal USB key (which scored around 130 MB/s in both reading and writing) the files play smoothly in Davinci, even with grading applied!
I've tried formatting the SSD different times but nothing changes.

Unfortunately working with the files directly on the internal drive is not a solution for me so I am here to ask you, on one side, if I might have done something wrong with the SSDs I've got and why this might happen, on the other side if you might have some even better solution about storing the files on external drives while working on Davinci.

I know probably my set up is far from being perfect and/or professional but any help would be great.

Thank you very much for your kind support!

My best,

Alessandro

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: External Drives Madness

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 2:03 pm

Moved to Resolve forum

What format is the external ssd?
How is it connected? By Thunderbolt?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ale_V_88

Re: External Drives Madness

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 10:33 am

First of all let me apology for my increadible late reply.

I have solved the problem: after numerous attempts I've found out that I was using a probably faulty cable to connect the SSD to the workstation (regardless of the speed test).
I've changed the cable and now everything works smoothly.

Thank you very much for your support.

My very best,

Alessandro

Return to DaVinci Resolve