I updated to 17 (then downgrading back to 16) & lost project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

forrestthefilmmaker

I updated to 17 (then downgrading back to 16) & lost project

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 5:07 pm

hello,
I updated to 17 then downgraded back to 16 which is what I had been using because of some issues I had with the update, and now I have lost all of my project files. I have folders of back ups but I can't open them or remake them into openable projects on resolve.
when I click "Open other project backups" I get an error
Critical Exception
BTexception: Assertion failed at DBprocedures.cpp(728)-- DbObj::s_getprojects! !isSQLite | | !p_ProjectName.isEmpty()

The application has recovered from the error. It is advisable to save the project and restart the application.

Anyone know how to get resolve to recreate projects using back ups?
Thanks for your help

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: I updated to 17 (then downgrading back to 16) & lost pro

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 8:44 pm

If you allowed Resolve 17 to Upgrade your database, so that the existing project files showed up in 17, those project can not go back to 16.

Thus it's very important to make a database backup BEFORE installing 17 and allowing it to Upgrade the database. Did you do that?

When you say you have folders of backups, what is that? How was it created?

It's also a very good idea to make Project Export .drps of ANY important days/weeks/months/years long projects, at the end of each work day on a project. And to keep copies of those .drps off the system drive. Then if anything bad happens to the system drive, or the Resolve database, you have usable backups to fall back on.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

forrestthefilmmaker

PostSat Oct 30, 2021 12:53 pm

Thanks for the Reply Dwaine,

If i had to manually make a database backup then I don't think I did, I had the settings on auto backup every few minutes, I'm not sure if that is what you mean.

I attached a screen shot of the backup folders I have. 205 folders that I can't seem to activate or connect to resolve in anyway now that I have downgraded to 16. It was created by the auto backup I believe.

The files in the back ups are Project.db. "lots of numbers"
I'm not sure what a drps file is, is that an export setting that saves it as a usable file with resolve?
Attachments
resolve project backups.jpg
resolve project backups.jpg (623.49 KiB) Viewed 527 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 11:03 pm

Yeah, if you didn't make a database backup, that's pretty much an issue for going back.

Zip the Resolve Project Backups folder and send me a link to the zip, and I'll see what I can do.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve