Unable to render

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dexter

Unable to render

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 5:19 pm

I have an issue upon hitting the Render button, it gets stuck in the "Rendering in progress 1 of 1 jobs".
When exiting out due to nothing happening, I'm prompted with "Continue Renders/Cancel Renders and Quit."

Upon exiting the davinci resolve task is still running in the background hogging cpu until process is killed.

I have been rendering hundreds of videos before this and the only thing that has changed between those and my current situation is that I got a 4th monitor. No win10 updates, gpu updates etc.
I'm not out of harddrive space or other hardware problems.

This happened before the latest 17.4 update. I updated and the problem still persists. Reinstalled the program completely and still I an unable to render. Win10 updated, gpu updated.
Unplugged monitors to see if that was it, which it wasn't.
Other projects does not render, even new projects.
None of the "halt render if problem with clip" etc are checked.

Emailed support with no reply, so I come here for help.

Timothy Clark

Re: Unable to render

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 10:28 pm

I've been having weird issues like that with older projects and older OFX plugins...are you using any OFX filters/transitions?

Dexter

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 4:53 pm

Timothy Clark wrote:I've been having weird issues like that with older projects and older OFX plugins...are you using any OFX filters/transitions?

No plugins. Projects themselves are just videoclips, nothing fancy.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 8:59 pm

Please see the faqs re details to report so someone can have more info to guess with.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dexter

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 10:04 pm

Was going to send the logs once I got an reply in the email, none so far.
I uploaded the logs but apparently I'm not allowed to post URLs. Tricky situation.
Not sure what else the logs are meant to give as it's not a crashlog. All stock settings for davinci. Default video rendering settings.

Win10, v19042.1288
Asus x570 e-gaming
AMD 5950x
RTX 3090, v496.49
64gb corsair ram
WD sn850 1tb nvme which OS and davinci is installed on. Various SSDs, one samsung 870 2tb for cache.
Davinci resolve 17.4.1, it just updated. Still no luck.
Can't see any other info the FAQ asks for.

After Effects renders just fine, for example. No problems elsewhere.
Tried letting the "render" sit for an hour, no progress.

Dexter

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 3:32 pm

I got a reply via email finally and got the logs sent over.

The steps I was told to try didn't work.

However..!

I was able to find the culprit and get the renders to work, momentarily!

When I unplugged the monitors before I did not reboot the computer.
After reinstalling the GPU drivers just now I had already unplugged all but 1 monitor and a reboot was needed. Tried a render upon boot and it worked.
Plugged in all of the monitors again and again, the renders still working.

I did a reboot just for doublechecking it was actually working, and the render stopped working.
After a few minutes of rebooting and unplugging I found the issue.

Win10 turns all of the monitors blank and shuffles them around whenever one of the many monitors are turned off. Whenever this shuffle happens, the renders stop working!
Since shuffle happens for me on every single boot with all of the monitors plugged in, the renders always failed for me.
And this only started happening when I got the 4th monitor.

The monitors I have:
Dell U3219Q (3840x2160 60hz)
Acer XV322QK KV(3840x2160 120hz) This was the monitor I added when the problem started.
Two Xiaomi Mi Monitors (3440x1440p 120hz)

So perhaps I am hitting some kind of bandwidth that makes davinci throw a fit.

I'm awaiting a reply by the support and perhaps they can figure out if the issue lies within davinci or win10/nvidia drivers.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 3:49 pm

To post a url that the system wont recognize as one, put a gap in it.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 7:19 am

Dexter wrote:And this only started happening when I got the 4th monitor.
The monitors I have:
Acer XV322QK KV(3840x2160 120hz) This was the monitor I added when the problem started.

Well, at the risk of being sarcastic, I'd say "don't do that." Four displays is kind of pushing it with Resolve, because it's already fairly stressful software for any system.

My experience is that you're better off having all-identical displays for the GUI, using identical refresh rates and pixel size. Otherwise, it can get confused when you're trying to drag a panel or a control from one side to the other or something like that. You can add a third display connected to a Blackmagic display adapter for judging color, but that won't stress out the system. I generally use a fourth display for scopes, but only from a 2nd external computer.

You can get by with a single GUI display for Resolve, and then use a smaller second display (with similar resolution/refresh specs) and drag the scopes over there. I used that for the first few years when I was using a Resolve system at home, and it worked fine. The BMD display card fed a calibrated plasma display and later an OLED display, and I got good results from it for years.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dexter

Re: Unable to render (Solved)

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 2:47 pm

It appears I came across the "solution" by accident.
Installed a second nvme drive, needed to unplug the graphic card to get to the m.2 slot on the motherboard.

Sometime later I needed to render a video, I was then prompted with an error/window saying my gpu configuration had changed and I needed to update the resolve settings. Once that was done the renders worked, even after the monitor shuffle mentioned previously.

I'm going to guess that it was a bios or at least motherboard related issue, needing to be refreshed after using these amounts of monitors.

Marc Wielage wrote:
Dexter wrote:And this only started happening when I got the 4th monitor.
The monitors I have:

Well, at the risk of being sarcastic, I'd say "don't do that." Four displays is kind of pushing it with Resolve, because it's already fairly stressful software for any system.

My experience is that you're better off having all-identical displays for the GUI, using identical refresh rates and pixel size. Otherwise, it can get confused when you're trying to drag a panel or a control from one side to the other or something like that. You can add a third display connected to a Blackmagic display adapter for judging color, but that won't stress out the system. I generally use a fourth display for scopes, but only from a 2nd external computer.

You can get by with a single GUI display for Resolve, and then use a smaller second display (with similar resolution/refresh specs) and drag the scopes over there. I used that for the first few years when I was using a Resolve system at home, and it worked fine. The BMD display card fed a calibrated plasma display and later an OLED display, and I got good results from it for years.

I was not using resolve WITH 4 monitors, I simply have 4 monitors.

dkg876

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 12:11 am

Well hello

I must say, I accidentally fixed it!

What did I do?

I created a new Postgres database on my desktop, imported the project in the new Postgres database then installed Davinci Resolve Project server and shared the database over the network and connected to my desktop using my laptop. I went to my laptop and enabled the Remote Rendering workspace and then chose it as the remote rendering machine on my desktop. It worked fine

Then I attempted to render on my desktop, and voila, problem solved. I am now able to render perfectly fine on my local desktop.

I am not sure what caused this, but I can say, the failure to render occurred the day after I had completed a project on my NAS via a network location. I think this may have something to do with it.

TomSid215

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 6:18 pm

Dexter wrote:I have an issue upon hitting the Render button, it gets stuck in the "Rendering in progress 1 of 1 jobs".
When exiting out due to nothing happening, I'm prompted with "Continue Renders/Cancel Renders and Quit."

Upon exiting the davinci resolve task is still running in the background hogging cpu until process is killed.

I have been rendering hundreds of videos before this and the only thing that has changed between those and my current situation is that I got a 4th monitor. No win10 updates, gpu updates etc.
I'm not out of harddrive space or other hardware problems.

This happened before the latest 17.4 update. I updated and the problem still persists. Reinstalled the program completely and still I an unable to render. Win10 updated, gpu updated.
Unplugged monitors to see if that was it, which it wasn't.
Other projects does not render, even new projects.
None of the "halt render if problem with clip" etc are checked.

Emailed support with no reply, so I come here for help.

Hey, I just had the same issue with a student film project. It seems that anything inside that project will not render at all. So what I ended up doing was caching the timeline, turning on clean feed, and using OBS to record the playback from the clean feed monitor. That was the only way I could think of to get the project "exported."

But now that I had some time to think about it afterwards, I did use a database and project file between a computer and my computer that had different versions on resolve on it, and I was using Red Giant Universe OFX on some clips in the color page.

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:40 am

Unfortunately, Maxon acquired those OFX and never cared to fix them for DR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:08 am

TomSid215 wrote:But now that I had some time to think about it afterwards, I did use a database and project file between a computer and my computer that had different versions on resolve on it, and I was using Red Giant Universe OFX on some clips in the color page.

Yeah, for whatever reason, Red Giant stopped supporting Resolve OFX. No idea why.

If you go into Preferences -> User -> Video Plug-ins, you can deselect the Red Giant plug-ins, hit OK, then exit Resolve and relaunch. Now, Resolve won't try to load or access the Red Giant plug-ins, and you can go to those shots that used them and use an alternative approach that works. Once you do that, then you should be able to render out the timelines with no problems.

Dexter wrote:I was not using resolve WITH 4 monitors, I simply have 4 monitors.

Well, I probably own 20 monitors, but I wouldn't mention them in a technical help message if they weren't actually connected to my system. I think going much past connecting 2 or 3 monitors on any computer system is skating on thin ice.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 9:04 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Yeah, for whatever reason, Red Giant stopped supporting Resolve OFX. No idea why.

Those plug-ins were acquired by Maxon and they are still updating them, but it feels like Adobe…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 9:04 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Yeah, for whatever reason, Red Giant stopped supporting Resolve OFX. No idea why.

Those plug-ins were acquired by Maxon and they are still updating them, but it feels like Adobe…

Return to DaVinci Resolve