"Media Offline" at final two seconds of each clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Newatthis

"Media Offline" at final two seconds of each clip

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 7:55 pm

I've been learning Resolve (now on 17.4.1.0004) for about a month, yes, a beginner for sure.

I'm just rendering single clips for now. I bring my clips into the Media Pool, drag one into the Timeline and 99% of the time the final 2 or so seconds has "Media Offline". When I select that clip in the Media Pool, right click on it and select "Re-link Selected Clips" Resolve goes to the source folder and there are no videos there, visually at least.

I can start up a new File Explorer, go to that source folder and indeed the videos exist on my hard drive (I haven't done anything with them) it just seems that Resolve can't locate them. Or something like that.

I've resorted to just cutting off the final seconds, thereby deleting the red Media Offline section, then proceed to the Color page then Deliver. If I don't cut off that section the clip won't render (Fail!).

No video I've watched addresses my particular issue and pretty much no one on any other forum has had this same issue. Lucky me.

I know you want to know specific settings and I'll get you the info you want. For starters, I'm on a PC, my camera spits out MP4/H.264, I'm shooting 4k at 29.97 FPS. What else would you like to know?

I can send images of what I'm seeing on my end if that will help. Thanks

Newatthis

Re: "Media Offline" at final two seconds of each clip

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 12:34 pm

More system information:

Free version
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 3700x
48 GB RAM
GTX 1650 Super 4 GB VRAM, NVidia Driver version: 496.49
Source drive is on an NVME SSD, not the boot drive

This Media Offline issue happens to virgin clips that have just been brought into the timeline, no effects/corrections

Is it typical for you to go to your source folder after uploading your videos to the Media Pool and the videos don't show up, like in my case?

And, newbie question, why can't I see this thread in the DaVinci Resolve Topics section. It has views, others are seeing it but I can't. Thanks

Newatthis

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 1:54 pm

Here are images of what I'm seeing:

moremediaoffline.JPG
moremediaoffline.JPG (77.64 KiB) Viewed 794 times

or

moremediaoffline.JPG
moremediaoffline.JPG (77.64 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Attachments
mediaoffline.JPG
mediaoffline.JPG (87.95 KiB) Viewed 794 times

Newatthis

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 10:45 pm

I see I have 25 views of this thread I started. I'm no stranger to the internet and forums but I have to say I don't see this thread anywhere unless I click on a link that Black Magic sends me.

I see this on the upper part of after I've clicked on the link:

Jump to: Board index » General » DaVinci Resolve

But if I independently go to that section of the Board index (DaVinci Resolve) I don't see my thread. How is anyone able to see it if I can't?

Here's what I see as the first topics in that forum:

resolvethreads.JPG
resolvethreads.JPG (64.47 KiB) Viewed 785 times

Marc Wielage

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 2:57 am

Newatthis wrote:I'm just rendering single clips for now. I bring my clips into the Media Pool, drag one into the Timeline and 99% of the time the final 2 or so seconds has "Media Offline".

For a lot of reasons, H.264 material is bad for post, partly because of the compression, partly because of lack of timecode, partly because of the potential for duplicate file names. What happens if you convert them to DNxHR or ProRes first, then use those for the project?

Are you using regular Resolve or Resolve Studio? Generally, I think you'll get better performance from the latter.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

TheBloke

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 7:46 am

Newatthis wrote:And, newbie question, why can't I see this thread in the DaVinci Resolve Topics section. It has views, others are seeing it but I can't. Thanks
Posts from new forum users are moderated, up to a certain number of posts (not sure the number, maybe 5 or so). They are invisible to everyone (other than with the direct link) until a moderator manually approves them. This seems to take 12 - 24 hours.

It won't be a problem for you for much longer.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Newatthis

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 5:02 pm

I have the free version loaded on to three desktops because I wanted to see which computer was the fastest. One I haven't tried yet, I just did and...

There is no "Media Offline" issue which was a relief but the difference between this computer and the other two is, after the clips are brought into the Media Pool, they also remain in the source folder. On the other two computers the videos would "disappear" from the source folder so there was no re-linking going on.

So what setting(s) should I look for on this computer that I can try to duplicate on the others. I'm new at this and haven't really changed any default settings but you never know which settings might be different from computer to computer

Newatthis

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 6:30 pm

This "Media Offline" issue has persisted all this time. My workaround has been just to shoot clips at least five seconds longer than I'd intended because I knew I was going to have to delete the last 3 seconds.

In desperation, I uninstalled 17.4 and re-installed 17.3.2, which thankfully I still have available to me. And that solved the issue. It was Resolve 17.4 that was doing this.

I'm surprised no one here or on any other forum I asked about this had experienced this but try going back to before 17.4 if it happens to you.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 11:17 pm

The only time I have seen this is when the source drive, such as a spinner, is not fast enough at spitting out the media. Not something you would expect with a NVME drive.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Newatthis

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 12:28 am

I had this issue when my source drive was on an NVME. Weird, I know.

Newatthis

PostSun Dec 19, 2021 1:51 pm

So my experience now is that I can run clips through Resolve 17.3 without having to worry about the last few seconds being "Media Offline". It's a relief, I have to say. A relief no one else seems to have experienced but there you go.

It saves not only the time spend cutting off the end of each clip but the brain damage of yelling at my monitor "why oh why am I having to do this?!?"

Return to DaVinci Resolve