Audio crossfade not working after ripple delete

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

panos_mts

Audio crossfade not working after ripple delete

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 2:38 am

I can reproduce this all day long on my system.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Add 2 clips to an empty timeline
2. Alt + click the audio edit point between the clips
3. Right click and add an audio crossfade
4. Move the playhead to the left of the crossfade and add 2 cuts
5. Select the clip between the 2 cuts and ripple delete, the left half of the crossfade will no longer work after this

Can anyone else reproduce this?
Last edited by panos_mts on Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Charles Bennett

Re: V17.4.1 Audio crossfade not working after ripple delete

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 10:03 am

I've just tried this and can confirm. It also appears to be intermittent with it working, not working, or only the part of the crossfade working on the incoming clip after the cut. :o
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

panos_mts

Re: Audio crossfade not working after ripple delete

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 4:50 am

Still happening with v17.4.2

TheBloke

Re: V17.4.1 Audio crossfade not working after ripple delete

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 9:41 am

Charles Bennett wrote:or only the part of the crossfade working on the incoming clip after the cut. :o
I am hearing exactly what Charles describes here: the cross-fade is still happening, but only on the right-hand clip.

So given this, after doing the ripple delete to the left of the cut:

At point A I can only hear clip A. At point B I can hear clips A and B.

Prior to making the cuts and doing a ripple delete as described by panos, the cross-fade worked as expected, with both A+B audible for the duration of the cross-fade.

If I then undo, I have to undo both the ripple delete and the making of the second cut to get the cross fade to work as expected again.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Philipp Glaninger

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 12:22 pm

oh great find! I am suffering from quite a view of oddities when it comes to audio fades in Resolve too, but I was never able to reproduce any of them. Hopefully it will be fixed now.

Beside some obscure crossfade that do strange things, I have another issue that I will try to reproduce in the future:
Sometimes after I have a Clip with Fades at both ends created with the "Fade In/Out to Playhead" function. Everything behaves normal but when I cut the Clip both fades jump to the new cut position. So then I have no fades at the original border of the clip, but both have moved to the new cut point.
Anyone else have seen this rare behavior? Here is a Video where I have documented the bug in action
, but it is an older video. I have not yet seen it in the most recent Version of Resolve.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

Jontario

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 4:47 pm

Also happens to me when the timeline ripples, since I started with Resolve v16 about a year ago to now on Resolve Studio v17.x.

Problem has been the same throughout versions and in free vs. studio: I'll add a CF and it does it's job...when I come back to it after trimming other clips, the audio plays back in the timeline as though the CF isn't there at all.

Most commonly with crossfades but even on the sliders sometimes when fading out/in. Often I can ripple without it causing an issue which is strangely inconsistent...why only sometimes does a ripple cause this issue? It seems like the more edits I make to a project, the more often it happens.

Sometimes restarting Resolve gets a CF working correctly. Other times, I need to delete and bring in new crossfades. Adjusting the sliders by just a millisecond will get them working again.

If the CF won't work properly in timeline playback, oddly enough sometimes it will still work on the export.

My projects have hundreds of clips and ripple delete/trim/cut is used hundreds of times in a project (often with hundreds of CFs due to constantly changing scenes and audio, inherent to outdoor vlogging) so it can be a significant issue. My exports are frequently over an hour long and I have to review them fastidiously to ensure that all the CFs worked in the final export. :?
Resolve Studio 18.6.3 | Windows 11 Home | AMD Ryzen 7 5800 8-Core Processor | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | 32GB RAM | 1TB SSD

panos_mts

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 8:02 am

It seems to be fixed on Resolve 17.4.3
Thank you.

panos_mts

PostTue Jan 04, 2022 7:12 am

panos_mts wrote:It seems to be fixed on Resolve 17.4.3
Thank you.
It's partially fixed, I found another way to reproduce this bug, follow the exact same steps as the first post, before ripple delete move the clip to the track above.
CrossfadeBug.gif
CrossfadeBug.gif (107.8 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

Jontario

PostMon Oct 17, 2022 2:12 pm

Ripple deletes still randomly cause crossfades to break. This issue has persisted for a long time now, at least a year for me, from v17 into 18.

There are a few examples shown in this video.

Before a final export, I need to scroll through the timeline like this looking for broken crossfades. Adjusting the length or even simply clicking on the crossfade returns it to normal as shown in the video. But if I make further edits or close down Resolve, the broken crossfades will break again and I'll have to scroll through the entire timeline again.

Working in projects often well over an hour and with hundreds of clips and crossfades, this can be a real nuisance when trying to produce a final export.

If the audio changes significantly between scenes (which is often the case for me shooting outdoors), these broken crossfades are a particularly big issue.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3 | Windows 11 Home | AMD Ryzen 7 5800 8-Core Processor | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | 32GB RAM | 1TB SSD

Jontario

PostTue Oct 25, 2022 2:19 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem? Anyone from BM?

When I contact BM directly probably close to a year ago, I was told it was known but there was no ETA on a fix.

It has plagued my work since with no resolution forthcoming and I'm on the verge of having to try a different editing software.

Jontario

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 7:56 pm

If anyone else has this problem, I've found that copying a clip to the very start of the timeline and then ripple deleting it will temporarily snap all of the broken crossfades back into form. But if you start editing or close Resolve, they will likely all break again so this has to be the final step before exporting.

The problem has continued a completely new machine, new Resolve install, new projects and clips, new version of Windows, new GPU, etc...so it wasn't something particular to my last machine.

Jontario

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 8:41 pm

Keep hoping for a fix with each update but, as an update, this problem is unchanged as of 18.6.3. Ripples break crossfades and fade in/out sliders.

A couple of months I finished a project with over 1,000 clips and there were 269 broken crossfades which had to be snooped out before exporting. (I counted them to occupy myself during the mindless task of fixing them :?) The following project had 800 clips and 141 broken crossfades. With all the advanced features being released, I hope something as fundamental as a crossfade gets attention soon.

Many broken crossfades are subtle sounding and I suspect some users just don't notice that they've broken one when their timeline ripples (however they're visually identifiable like in the video I posted above). But a good chunk of them sound really awful and harsh if the ambient audio changes significantly from scene to scene (i.e. outside of a studio) which happens frequently in outdoor recording.

Fade in/out sliders still arbitrarily fail in exports as well.

This has happened to me on different machines, Resolve versions, and footage from different cameras.

Return to DaVinci Resolve