Step one frame forward or backward on cut page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jakobox

Step one frame forward or backward on cut page

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 5:54 pm

Hi all, is there a way to step one frame forward or backward with the cut page?

On the edit page, keys left and right do it.

On the cut page, the left and right key seem to have no effect. Perhaps I'm missing something though?

Jeff Brass

Re: Step one frame forward or backward on cut page

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 9:21 pm

left and right rows are working for me in cut as well as edit. Windows 10, DR 17.3
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

jakobox

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 10:06 pm

Thanks for the followup!

I experimented more and here's a more details way to describe:

1) In Metadata or Strip view, select a clip
2) You can now move forward, backward etc using J,K,L, spacebar. However you can NOT go one frame forward and back with the arrows.
3) However, f you click the playhead in the viewer window, you can now use the arrows.

I guess that kind of solves my problem... Just need to move the moust and click the playhead. However, it seems so unintitive to me... What's the benefit of the arrow keys *not* working? and also you lose your place on the clip when moving the mouse off the clip.

Maybe I'm missing something and there's a benefit to this behavior? Or maybe there's some hidden setting I can adjust to it works more like I'd hope?

TCP786

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 10:49 pm

That sounds like it's related to what the program is focusing on. Resolve interprets inputs differently depending on which things on screen you're currently manipulating, so if you have a clip selected, it's trying to do whatever action the arrow keys refer to to the clip. In this case, I'm assuming that the arrow keys don't map to any actions at the clip level, but on the playhead/timeline level, the arrow keys map to moving the playhead by one frame. This is similar to how in the Fusion page, the arrow keys will nudge a node's position if the node is selected (if that node has an xy center), but if no node is selected, the arrows will move the playhead by one frame as well.

I know this isn't a solution, but hopefully it makes sense. I'm not sure if there's a way to determine if there's a move playhead action that can be mapped to the arrow keys for that context; it seems unlikely, but not impossible. I'd be at a loss to figure out what to search for in the keyboard shortcut options though.

Return to DaVinci Resolve