Color Space Transform for GoPro Hero9

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

P-Sides

Color Space Transform for GoPro Hero9

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 12:32 am

Currently I exclusively use a GoPro Hero9 for my footage and have been exploring color grading with Davinci Resolve 17. I have been looking through basic instruction videos to get introduced to the color page and have not been able to find information on how to properly use the Color Space Transform Effect for my Hero9. Specifically I can't find information as to what the correct Input Color Space and Input Gamma options should be.

Can anyone assist? If I need to supply specific information pertaining to our capture settings on the camera please let me know.

John Paines

Re: Color Space Transform for GoPro Hero9

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 am

Unless you're shooting with the color setting of protune "flat", you wouldn't be using a color transform. The camera is already shooting a format suitable for display. You could adjust it, but there would be no compelling reason to apply a color space transform.

If you *are* shooting with the "flat" setting, you maybe out of luck: professional color grading applications are unlikely to include the transforms for gopro footage. You'd either have to do it manually or explore the settings available to other cameras shooting log formats.

ZRGARDNE

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 2:24 am

The Gopro doesn't have a true log profile that requires transform.

The flat profile is intended to give you latitude in post to grade as the shot demands.

Conversion luts are available by various sources for purchase.
https://www.leeminglutpro.com/

I have never used one myself.

I don't think GoPro publishes any for free

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 5:44 am

But it's pretty easy to grade manually, given that the scene justifies shooting the flat profile in 8 bit at all.
Stretch it too much and it'll fall apart.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

P-Sides

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 9:12 pm

Thank you all for the responses. Sorry about the late reply my notification on this went to spam :o

Anyways, yes I shoot in "flat" as well as "native" for white balance so that we can have greater room for color grading. I'll take a look at a few of those LUTs ZRGARDNE, thank you for the link.

Uli you're right on the ease for grading. I've been playing with it while researching CST's. I'm mildly glad the responses match my research so far. I'll post if I find any novel items.

ZRGARDNE

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 5:40 pm

Uli Plank wrote:But it's pretty easy to grade manually, given that the scene justifies shooting the flat profile in 8 bit at all.
Stretch it too much and it'll fall apart.

with the new iphones giving us ProRes. Maybe better codecs will start to come down to these cheaper cameras.

I personally would be perfectly happy to put a 512gb SD card in my gopro and get 10bit DNxHR HQX out of it. I would expect this to be 'easier' for its little processor inside to compute than H.265?

markr041

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 5:53 pm

I shoot in Protune Flat Color with the Hero 10. I use the DaVinci Color Management REC709 default. I like what it does, and just add some color saturation.

Here is an example of Flat transformed in DaVinci:

Mark Rosenzweig

bobosola

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 8:38 pm

Have a read of the thread GoPro LUT for Rec.709. Forum member RikshaDriver has built some DCTL files for GoPros at https://github.com/xtremestuff/protune-transforms. How these work and how they differ from LUTS is explained in the thread, but you install them like a LUT and gain a mathematically exact transform rather than a lookup table (LUT). Definitely worth a try, just make sure you install the right one (e.g flat + native color space -> Rec.709) or whatever.

I do a fair bit of GoPro stuff and float between using these DCTLs, the Leeming LUTs and just doing it by hand. If your stuff is shot in bright sunlight then I've found both the DCTLs and Leeming LUTS work great, but dull cloudy days can come out weird and are usually best done by hand.

P-Sides

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks bobosola I'm reading through this weekend.

markr041 I used the same settings and your video is close to my results. Nice to know it tracks.

Molex1

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 2:01 pm

Hello,
I wanted to create my LUT with use of X-Rite color checker, but for some reason when I choose that my source is 709 it does not work... Any idea how to do it?
i7-9700, 32GB RAM, Radeon Sapphire RX570 8GB - OpenCore Hackintosh running BigSur

Return to DaVinci Resolve