How do I replace a clip but keep the edits?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

CallMeMONGOOSE

How do I replace a clip but keep the edits?

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 11:56 pm

Hello, I've been editing a video and the videos I was editing became corrupted so I went and re-filmed the footage I lost, but it would be a pain to re-edit everything.

So I'm trying to figure out, how do I insert the new clips in place of the ones I've edited and keep the edits/copy the edits to the new clips?

bounceHouse

Re: How do I replace a clip but keep the edits?

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 2:54 am

In the Media page, try right-click on the media and choosing "Replace selected clip...". Choose the replacement. The timeline should update the content with the edits/overlays/color adjustments still present on the clips.

Because you re-recorded and hence the new content is presumably not the identical length and with trim points the same, I would expect you will still need to go through and slip clips into the proper position / adjust clip lengths.
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b1 build

CallMeMONGOOSE

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 8:57 pm

bounceHouse wrote:In the Media page, try right-click on the media and choosing "Replace selected clip...". Choose the replacement. The timeline should update the content with the edits/overlays/color adjustments still present on the clips.

Because you re-recorded and hence the new content is presumably not the identical length and with trim points the same, I would expect you will still need to go through and slip clips into the proper position / adjust clip lengths.

Yes, thank you. I was going to trim the new clips to the right length. Does it matter if the trimmed clips are from the same filmed video? Can I replace each trimmed clip individually in the editing page?

TheBloke

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 7:35 am

To replace clips individually in Edit, you can:
- In the Media Pool, highlight the clip to use as the replacement
- In the timeline, right-click on the clip to replace and choose "Conform Lock With Media Pool Clip". You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to this.

Unfortunately Conform Lock With.. has to be done clip-by-clip, there's no way to do it for multiple clips at the same time. So if you need to change the media file for 10 or 100 clips at once, this can be rather slow. I raised a feature request for the ability to use Conform Lock With on multiple clips at once, a year or so ago: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=115742)

To replace clips in bulk, there's File -> Reconform From Bins. This allows specifying a target bin and then a list of rules to check for which clips should/should not be reconformed from the clips in that/those bin(s). This does usually require a bit of preparation. Because it looks at a whole bin, you need to make sure that bin only contains the media file(s) you want to use, and no others (unless you can exclude the others with rules). So when I use this I usually make a new bin just for the clips to be used as the reconform target.

I have had situations where Reconform From Bins refused to reconform any clips and I had to revert to manually using Conform Lock With on each clip individually, but generally it works OK.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

rubefink

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 10:48 pm

+1 Agreed. Love the idea of flexible reconnect. Would also like this functionality at the Bin level. Being able to replace multiple clips that already have been organized with metadata with new source clips. For example if an editor needed to organize a project based on clips downloaded from Frame.io which all had .mp4 or .mov file extensions. Then send that DRB back to the main edit house and they could replace all that work with the original source clips with different file extensions but matching timecode and file name. Currently possible at a timeline level only not at a Bin level.

ColinMcT

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 pm

rubefink wrote:+1 Agreed. Love the idea of flexible reconnect. Would also like this functionality at the Bin level. Being able to replace multiple clips that already have been organized with metadata with new source clips. For example if an editor needed to organize a project based on clips downloaded from Frame.io which all had .mp4 or .mov file extensions. Then send that DRB back to the main edit house and they could replace all that work with the original source clips with different file extensions but matching timecode and file name. Currently possible at a timeline level only not at a Bin level.

this is a great idea! these kinds of features once implemented will attract more pro users
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

Marc Wielage

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 2:05 am

I think "Reconform from Bins" can work, but I'm not certain if it tries to do the entire timeline or just selected clips.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

TheBloke

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 9:21 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I think "Reconform from Bins" can work, but I'm not certain if it tries to do the entire timeline or just selected clips.
You can choose:
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

DesertCookie

PostFri Sep 09, 2022 10:45 am

bounceHouse wrote:In the Media page, try right-click on the media and choosing "Replace selected clip...". Choose the replacement. The timeline should update the content with the edits/overlays/color adjustments still present on the clips.

This does not work, sadly. At least for the edits; it does not keep those. It'll reset the clip to the beginning meaning one has to manually go through and fix the edit afterwards.

I'm really struggling to get Resolve to find my files again. I changed from an mp4 extension to mkv and am utterly unable to get resolve to conform the files. Manually "replace selected clip..." is the only option that works with above caveat meaning that after having replaced 100 files, one had to adjust the timing of those 100 files on the timeline; if you had split the files into smaller clips through edits (cutting between multi-cams, for example) you have to do it for every of those edits.

tangierc

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 2:04 am

I am entering this very late and trying to figure out how to best use this feature. I have an XML from Final Cut Pro that references braw proxies (mov files). I want to replace all of the clip using the Conform from Media Storage feature in Resolve 18. Oddly it worked for some clips on the timeline, but not others. The strange thing is that some of the clips that didn't work are the exact same proxy file it replace with a braw file in the same timeline. So imagine there's four edits on a timeline. Three of those edits are on from the same clip. However Resolve conformed the proxy for only two of them. This only worked by using the "Loose filename match" option which is even more disconcerting because the only difference between the proxy and original file is .bra and .MOV at the end. If I force tight filename match it won't work.

....and how strange is it that braw is not an option in file format or codec, and putting in "braw" for file extension will also cause this feature to fail.

Paul Carlin

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 9:54 pm

One way to replace media on a timeline keeping all of the attributes is to conform a new layer above the clips you wish to replace using whatever method you choose. Make sure the clips are in sync and the INs and OUTs all match between the old and new clips. Then select the new clips (use Y to select all clips on a layer to the right of the positioner) and then Ctrl/Command drag the selected clips onto the old clips (you will see the Replace icon if you do this correctly). It will replace the media without removing any of the attributes/color/groups/whatever.

If you are paranoid, make a copy of the old layer (add new layer, select old clips (Y), Alt/Option drag them onto the empty layer). Then "trace" the new clips into the copy of the old clips as before. This allows you to check each clip by disabling it (D) to do a before and after. Once you are happy, fold the new clips down over the old ones.
Professional Problem Solver

moonspinner123

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 4:32 pm

Hi there,
I've used a single clip and cut it into separate edits (re-edit of a single clip) in the timeline and need to replace all the individual cuts with a new single clip (updated clip). I've tried all the avenues of replacing the clip, conforming, etc. But it replaces each clip from the beginning not keeping the edits. I know this is a simple task in Premiere but finding it very difficult to figure out in Resolve.
Any Help??

Thanks
Michael

Z-Good

PostWed Aug 16, 2023 11:07 am

moonspinner123 wrote:Any Help??
Michael

so far, the most working way is to replace the file name from the old clip with a new one and already move the entire track relative to the sound on the timeline, if there is a discrepancy.

michaelh99

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 12:41 am

moonspinner123 wrote:Hi there,
I've used a single clip and cut it into separate edits (re-edit of a single clip) in the timeline and need to replace all the individual cuts with a new single clip (updated clip). I've tried all the avenues of replacing the clip, conforming, etc. But it replaces each clip from the beginning not keeping the edits. I know this is a simple task in Premiere but finding it very difficult to figure out in Resolve.
Any Help??

Thanks
Michael

What version were you using? I just did exactly what you describe with 18.6.5.7 and except for blowing away my clip colors, it worked as expected.

Return to DaVinci Resolve