How to know which media proxy files are not used

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gregory_DUBUS

How to know which media proxy files are not used

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 3:20 pm

Hello everyone !
Simple question to optimize my computer / hard disk / cloud spaces... with my media proxy files.

How to find and then delete unused proxies ?

I know where proxy files are located, but i do not know if there is a way to make the list of those "orphans" to find them quickly and in some cases delete them (since they are unsused) to free up space on my hard drives.

I have for example a film with approx. 60 hours of 4K rushes for which I created proxies for all medias to help my machine throughout the workflow, but after de-rushing and editing the first layout and edit, I know that several dozen shots will not be used in the final cut. So I deleted them from Davinci (from my media pool bins). I know after testing that Davinci kept these orphaned proxies. This takes up unnecessary proxy space on the disk. Is there a way to find and delete these unused proxies ?

Thanks for your help !
Davinci Resolve 17.4.1 Studio version

Gregory_DUBUS

Re: How to know which media proxy files are not used

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 9:35 am

Bump, Any ideas please ?

Ben Carlson

Re: How to know which media proxy files are not used

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 5:59 pm

I have the same question; my previous editing system used to leave many orphaned files behind (even when the project was deleted), someone developed a simple tool to clean them up...
Now I wonder how this works with DRS, even if it looks like (but I haven't tested carefully) that when you delete a project, all corresponding files are deleted...
DR Studio 18.6.6 Win10Pro 22H2 19045.4291 i7-8850H 2.6GHz - 32GB RAM;
nVidia Quadro P2000 4 GB (546.09)
OS,Library,Project: 1TB SSD - Cache & src media files: 500GB NVMe
ATEM TVS (8.6.4), VA 4k (2.5.4)
Mini Monitor & Mini Recorder (Deskt Vid 12.0)

Return to DaVinci Resolve