Sound Rumble Elimination Recommendations?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jcaragay

Sound Rumble Elimination Recommendations?

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 9:56 pm

I shot some video handheld and ended up with some low end rumbling while handling the camera. I'd like to eliminate (or reduce) this rumble. What is the best way to approach this? I'm using 17.4.2 Studio and while I do have Izotope RX8 Elements, I have not used it yet (just downloaded it very recently).

Any recommendations will be very much appreciated. Thanks!
M1 Mac Mini 8GB/256
MacOSX Big Sur
"still learning"

Charles Bennett

Re: Sound Rumble Elimination Recommendations?

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 10:26 pm

Have a go with the De-Rumble Filter in the Noise Reduction plugin.
Page 3317 of the manual.
Attachments
Noise Reduction Plugin.jpg
Noise Reduction Plugin.jpg (64.03 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

jcaragay

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 9:59 pm

Thanks Charles. I'll give it a go!
M1 Mac Mini 8GB/256
MacOSX Big Sur
"still learning"

TCP786

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:05 am

I would personally recommend using this opportunity to start learning your RX tools. However, I'm not necessarily recommending against using Resolve's tools. I'm mostly just saying this because at some point, you'll likely need to use RX for something specific, and it's always annoying when you have to learn a new tool when you really need to get something done. So in that sense, the sooner you learn it the better.

On the other hand, RX Elements only includes a few specific tools, so Resolve's might be better for some more general purpose uses. For example, I believe Elements only includes Voice De-noise and not Spectral De-noise. Even better, maybe try both and see which one gives you better results or has a more intuitive workflow for you. Then in the future you have even more options for which you already understand the uses and limitations.

One more quick thing though: don't be misled by the name "voice de-noise" into thinking it's only useful for cleaning up speech. It's optimized for speech, but it is still fantastic at cleaning up all kinds of different noise from all kinds of difference source material.

Return to DaVinci Resolve