Input Color Space from media pool?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marshall Harrington

Input Color Space from media pool?

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 4:13 pm

Is it just me or with recent updates has the right clicked "Input Color Space" from the media pool disappeared?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving too!

Mads Johansen

Re: Input Color Space from media pool?

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 4:35 pm

It's still there, you just can't have a timeline selected as well as the media
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B Build 20, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 552.22 Studio

Marshall Harrington

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Mads Johansen wrote:It's still there, you just can't have a timeline selected as well as the media
Thanks for the reply Mads. Still a little lost. I was always able to access this from both the color and the edit page so if I need the change the color space on one clip I could do it on the fly so to say. I never left the timeline or at least I don't think I did. I'd just click on the Media Pool select the clip or clips in question right click and away I went. Only after 17.4 it's not there. Maybe something in the project settings that turned it off?

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Have not yet resolved this but have a little more information.

On new clips the "Input Color Space" from the right click contextual menu is there. On older ones instead it is replaced by "Bypass Color Management". So sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. My question is why?

The input color space is assigned to a specific camera in the first example. In the second it simply assigned to "Blackmagic Design Film Gen 5" since there is no specific designation for the Pocket 6K Pro that I'm aware of.

After researching this for a couple of weeks now I see that many others are also having this issue.

Some have suggested that because I'm shooting BRAW with a Pocket 6K Pro that Resolve knows what to do and that's the reason. But I though you were able to bypass this is desired.

Anyone else seeing this.

Andy Mees

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 4:39 pm

Fwiw, I'm not seeing anything odd here Marshall, but I'm not working with BRAW media.
As expected, I see the 'Input Color Space' option available on all Media Pool clips in Media, Edit, Fusion & Color pages, and 'Bypass Color Management' available from all timeline instances.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 5:41 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Fwiw, I'm not seeing anything odd here Marshall, but I'm not working with BRAW media.
As expected, I see the 'Input Color Space' option available on all Media Pool clips in Media, Edit, Fusion & Color pages, and 'Bypass Color Management' available from all timeline instances.
So odd. For me it's either one or the other but I cannot figure out why. It makes it hard to change the color space on an individual clip.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 5:48 pm

Marshall Harrington wrote:So odd. For me it's either one or the other but I cannot figure out why. It makes it hard to change the color space on an individual clip.

Marshall, can you try with a different media like Prores? What you are encountering might be happening only to BRAW media.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

SkierEvans

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 5:57 pm

Do you have Color Management> YRGB Color Managed it will be there . If selection is just Davinci YRGB it is not there.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Marshall Harrington

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 4:33 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Marshall Harrington wrote:So odd. For me it's either one or the other but I cannot figure out why. It makes it hard to change the color space on an individual clip.

Marshall, can you try with a different media like Prores? What you are encountering might be happening only to BRAW media.
That seemed to work. I output the RAW file to ProRes, right clicked it in the color page and "Input Color Space" was there. I guess Resolve knows that if it's a RAW file what it should do with it. Also SkierEvans I am set to DaVinci YRGB Color Managed.

I must say I've been a little confused that so many of the cameras are available the the Input Color Space. But for the latest ones the selection I'm using is simply Blackmagic Design Film Gen 5.

Thanks for all your help.

jeffsumm67

PostSat Dec 11, 2021 5:46 am

If you're working with RAW video, go in the HDR Wheels palette, click the three-dot popup menu thing, then Color Space. Is that it?

Return to DaVinci Resolve