How can i import a mask from the color page to the timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alessandro Valori

How can i import a mask from the color page to the timeline?

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 5:20 pm

In your experience, is there a way to copy a mask or its alpha created in color page in the editing timeline?
XMG ULTRA 17
Intel Core i9-11900K
GeForce RTX 3080 16 GB GDDR6
32 GB RAM 4x SO-DIMM DDR4 | 3200 MHz
Samsung m2 980 pci v4 1tb

Cliff D.

Re: How can i import a mask from the color page to the timel

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 8:53 pm

You could probably do something like this as a work around.

1/ Set up your mask in the color page on your clip.
2/ Right click on a blank area of the node street and select add alpha output and connect he alpha from the node with the mask to that alpha output.
3/ Go back out to the edit page and copy the color correction from that clip onto a new white clip. You can make the white clip by using the generator but you will need to turn it into a compound clip before you paste the color attributes onto it.
4/ I think that should have made you a clip you can use for keying.

Also you could have pasted the color attributes directly onto another video clip if thats what you were trying to achieve.

Alessandro Valori

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 2:08 pm

Cliff D. wrote:You could probably do something like this as a work around.

1/ Set up your mask in the color page on your clip.
2/ Right click on a blank area of the node street and select add alpha output and connect he alpha from the node with the mask to that alpha output.
3/ Go back out to the edit page and copy the color correction from that clip onto a new white clip. You can make the white clip by using the generator but you will need to turn it into a compound clip before you paste the color attributes onto it.
4/ I think that should have made you a clip you can use for keying.

Also you could have pasted the color attributes directly onto another video clip if thats what you were trying to achieve.

Ok I try, thanks a lot for the tip
XMG ULTRA 17
Intel Core i9-11900K
GeForce RTX 3080 16 GB GDDR6
32 GB RAM 4x SO-DIMM DDR4 | 3200 MHz
Samsung m2 980 pci v4 1tb

Cliff D.

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 12:20 am

Update. So I tried the method I suggested above but found when you paste color correction from one clip to another the mask information does not come across. The solution I found to work is a bit more involved but it seems to work.

1/ Set up your first mask in the color page on your clip you want to copy from.
2/ Right click on a blank area of the node tree and select add alpha output and connect the alpha from the node with the mask to that alpha output.

3/ Go back out to the edit page and you should now see this clip keyed over whatever track is underneath.

4/ Right click on the clip and choose "render in place" but select the prores 4444 codec. This will make it into its own rendered clip, and put it into the media pool. It will have the embedded alpha channel which will allow you to work with it in the timeline.

5/ I'm not sure how you want to use the new mask in the timeline but you can bring this new 4444 clip into the color page of a different clip and use the alpha from it to effect the new clip's color parameters. If you go to the color page of the clip you want to effect and drag the new rendered 4444 from the media pool onto an empty area on the color page a new "Ext. Matte" node will appear and you can use its blue output to connect it to the blue input of any color node. Now that color node will only effect the areas inside the alpha or you can use invert key input to effect only the area outside the alpha. (see attached screenshot.). IF this doesn't work check that the new 4444 clip in the media pool is set to "premultiplied" by right clicking/change alpha mode/premultipled and try again.

I hope this works for you, its a bit long winded but it seems to work. I wish Resolve had a way to do a key from a clip on the track above like Premiere does. It would be so handy and its something I used to do all the time with Premier. I may make a new post about that and see if anyone has figured something out to do that.

Anyway good luck.
Cliff
Attachments
alpha 4444.png
alpha 4444.png (531.68 KiB) Viewed 579 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve