Is there a way to make the zoom follow the cursor?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Vlad Stefan

Is there a way to make the zoom follow the cursor?

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 7:59 pm

Hello everyone,

Basically i'm editing the zoom in resolve and i'm trying to get it to follow my cursor, as in my cursor is moving, but from the POV of the viewer it's staying fixed in the center of the screen (or only jittering slightly).
Anything in Resolve that can fill this function? Follow the cursor from point A to B at a certain zoom level?

Thanks a bunch.

TCP786

Re: Is there a way to make the zoom follow the cursor?

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 8:11 am

As far as I know, this only works with the timeline in the edit page, not the viewer. But if anyone knows something I don't, I also would really like to know.

Andy Mees

Re: Is there a way to make the zoom follow the cursor?

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 10:28 am

I'm not sure if theres a way to 'record' a path in real time in the Fusion Page, seems like something that might be entirely possible but I'm just a Fusion Page beginner and couldn't find a relevant tutorial ... that said, if your 'cursor path' is simply following an object, you could certainly use a tracker node to follow that object and then link that track to the anchor point of a zoom transform. Or of course you could just draw a path as a static object and then have the anchor point of a zoom transform follow that path over time.

If you prefer to stick to the Edit Page, you can easily animate your Transform Anchor Point value over time... just turn on the Transform overlay in the timeline's viewer window, add a single Anchor Point keyframe in the Inspector window, then just move the Anchor Point overlay around every few frames or so as necessary ... the anchor point would effectively be your cursor... any zoom you apply after the fact will centre around that animated point.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve