Memory issues when animating static image files?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Justin990

Memory issues when animating static image files?

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 5:16 am

I am learning how to use DaVinci resolve. I have a 2019 MacBook Pro with 16Gb ram (nothing else running). When I string together a few videos, and perhaps have a few videos side by side, and a fusion clip (animated logo) over the top everything works great and I can export render.

I just tried a project that works with 10 image files, it slides them onto the screen one by one, and adds some text below each one. (also with the fusion clip overlay for logo). It plays ok (jittery but plays), but when I try to render the clip DaVinci literally crashes about half way through (a different point each time). The screen goes red for half a second, then the app closes. The apple generated stack trace seems to imply an out of memory problem.

I upgraded to the latest Davinci and mac iOS as of today, and the problem is still occurring. I am a little confused about why animating a few images on the screen causes this problem. I can definitely do this in keynote without any drama at all.

Is this normal, or strange? Are there any tips for trying to get DaVinci resolve to not crash on a mac when animating a handful of images?

Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Memory issues when animating static image files?

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 11:12 am

Moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dave Shortman

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 1:56 pm

You don't say if you are loading these 10 images in fusion or on the timeline.

If in fusion, you could try using the Loader nodes instead of MediaIn.

If on the timeline, I'd resize the images if they are wider than the target screen size (before importing into the media pool).

Peter McLennan

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 5:20 pm

Animating large still images is one of the main reasons I invested in Resolve. I've successfully animated images as large as 10K pixels wide with only a few issues.

I found that copying them to my NVMe internal SSD avoids playback issues that arise when sourcing them from spinning media. I have an RTX 3060 which is not blindingly fast, but does have 12GB of GPU RAM.

I animate them solely from the timeline and the Inspector, avoiding the relatively slow performance and poor iterative feedback from a Fusion based workflow. With Inspector, I can instantly see changes I've made.

My biggest problem is the difficulty of controlling the "ease in/out" controls available in the inspector.

Last edited by Peter McLennan on Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

bounceHouse

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 5:40 pm

@OP, it looks like Peter M's video above is one image at a time - not overlapping images whose interaction/overlapping I suspect places a much larger load on the GPU calculations, which I think you are doing based on your description of sliding them onscreen.

Based on a previous experience with a collage causing render issues at the GPU, perhaps downsizing all your source images using imagemagick would help. See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=139764
and in particular:
If I make a copy of the image folder (to retain the originals) and run imagemagick to mogrify the ones Resolve is using down to 700 pixels maximum dimension, then suddenly everything speeds back up and crashes go away, for example on a PC w/ImageMagick installed, from a cmd window in that folder whose files will be overwritten: magick mogrify -resize 700 *.jpg

There is a Mac version of imageMagick as well.
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 18.6.6 build

Sean Nelson

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 6:29 pm

Justin990 wrote:I just tried a project that works with 10 image files...

One of the common issues working with image files is using images larger than necessary. With today's still cameras producing 40 and 50 megapixel images, you have to be careful because when you bring anything into Resolve each pixel turns into 16 bytes of information. This is because Resolve represents pixels as four 32-bit floating-point numbers representing the R, G, B and Alpha channels.

So your 40 megapixel image suddenly takes well over half a gigabyte of memory, and when you're mixing multiple large images together with all the intermediate image processing steps you can gobble up many gigabytes very quickly.

The first thing you should do when using images is to determine what maximum resolution you'll need for them and then downscale them to that resolution before importing them into resolve. An image to be used in a project shouldn't need to be have any higher resolution than the project itself unless you need to zoom into it.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Peter McLennan

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 7:28 pm

Good advice, Sean. This was one of my first attempts at animating still images and I used the highest pixel count I had available. I wasn't sure at the outset just how much I'd be enlarging (zooming), so I left myself lots of latitude.

As it turns out, you can't pan and zoom much. Complex moves take too long on-screen and wind up being boring. My next attempt will use smaller images. I also used the highest JPG compression quality when preparing the images. I'll next experiment with smaller pixel dimensions and more jpg compression to see if that will cut down on the computer's workload. Since the images are decompressed during the edit, I'm not sure how much difference that will make.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Sean Nelson

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 8:03 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:I'll next experiment with smaller pixel dimensions and more jpg compression to see if that will cut down on the computer's workload. Since the images are decompressed during the edit, I'm not sure how much difference that will make.

I don't think you'll see any noticeable difference with various compression settings. They can make a difference in video because the system has to decompress 24, 30, 60 etc frames per second, with a JPG you decompress it once and you're done.

It's the resolution that will make a difference because the software has to store and manipulate 16 bytes for every pixel in the image for every frame being generated, so you don't want to include more of them than you really need.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Peter McLennan

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 12:56 am

Excellent info, Sean. Makes sense. Thanks!

Justin990

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 3:15 am

I've learnt some helpful things here. Thanks for all of your replies. None of the pictures are particularly large compared to how much memory my computer has. For example, 2000x2000 x 16 bytes x 10 pictures is only about 625Mb, and my Mac has 16Gb with nothing else running on it.

Unless something interesting is happening like "load all images from the whole timeline (even when they are not being shown on the frame) and keep them in memory during the rendering process (even when they are not needed for rendring)", that would add up to about 3Gb of memory needed to to hold all of them in memory render this project.

Again, like I said at the start, this is something I have done before in Keynote on my Mac, and keynote has never crashed before. I'd love it if davinci could do some basic image animations as well, as it is definitely more powerful.

I will rebuild this entire project from scratch in Davinci Resolve today and see if it makes any difference.

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 5:14 am

Justin, it's not about RAM, but about VRAM! How much do you have?
To prepare your animation for video, GlueMotion might be a helpful software.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve