Cant understand ripple overwrite function here

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

irfanintekhab

Cant understand ripple overwrite function here

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi guys, i am not able to understand what ripple overwrite is doing here.

What i am trying to do : add in a clip and ripple everything to the right
waht is happening : its adding a small portion of the clip in the beginning of the timeline and doing something weird

please check this video
https://streamable.com/j5b99p

can anyone please explain?

Thank you

Andy Mees

Re: Cant understand ripple overwrite function here

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 3:26 pm

Yeah, its pretty unclear what's going on there... with no in/out set the operation should be defaulting to the playhead. I can't duplicate that fault here ie its working predictably on my system. At the same time, per your screen recording, the operation seems to also be clearing a timeline marker near the head of the timeline when you perform the edit. Again, I can't duplicate that fault.

Sorry, other than those unhelpful 'yeah, thats weird' observations, the only other probably unhelpful thing I'd note is that, if, as you say, all you want to do is 'add in a clip and ripple everything to the right' then it's also not really clear why you're a) disabling Auto Track Selection across all tracks but Video 2, and b) using 'Ripple Overwrite' instead of the more obvious 'Insert Edit'. I'm assuming because 'reasons', which is fair enough.

Hopefully someone else can step in and spot the cause.

In the meantime, troubleshooting-wise, if everything else is reacting predictably, maybe try exporting the timeline as a DRT and then bringing it into an entirely new clean project ... then testing again.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

irfanintekhab

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. Well i am just learning some shortcuts so that's how I came across this issue. I want to be able to work with keyboard more. I kept others inactive as I want the ripple to occur only on track 2. I can certainly just overwrite and ripple myself with the mouse. But I wanted to understand what is exactly causing this. I thought there is something obvious I am missing. So I can understand better next time, that was my intention. But it seems it's a bug

Andy Mees

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 9:01 pm

Yep, certainly seems weird... I couldn't replicate it on my Windows system tho, so it could possibly be a settings issue I missed or maybe even some kind of local project corruption... if you export the timeline as a DRT and share it somewhere that I can download I'd be happy to see if using the same timeline causes the issue to replicate on my system... no need for any media, just the timeline references should be enough to test.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

irfanintekhab

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 4:55 am

Thanks for trying to look into it, can download drt from this link
https://we.tl/t-txlj34P0CC

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 am

Try
clear the timeline i/o
mark your source i/o
place your playhead over timeline clip you wish to ripple overwrite, it needs to be the top layer clip
ripple overwrite.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Andy Mees

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 10:45 am

irfanintekhab wrote:Thanks for trying to look into it, can download drt from this link
https://we.tl/t-txlj34P0CC

So I gave it a quick test here Ifran, but on my system it did exactly what it was supposed to...
Before:Image
After:Image
Insertion per playhead position, everything rippled per Auto Track Selector target, no weird disappearing timeline marker etc. Must be something local in your project. Follow Peter's suggestions, see if that shakes it loose.

irfanintekhab

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Thank you for the replies Peter and Andy.
As I said previously, I am not in a problem per say, I can just drag the clip and move the clips around as I want. I am only trying to understand what's happening.

Andy, it works how it works in your system when I set it up that way. But yours isn't set up as mine. If not a problem, Can you try doing it again with auto track selector all disabled except track V2? Also keep V2 in focus and try. That's how mine was setup in the Video.

Andy Mees

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 8:59 pm

irfanintekhab wrote:Andy, it works how it works in your system when I set it up that way..

Doh! Sorry Ifran, I actually thought I'd replicated your setup, but you're absolutely right, I missed the Auto Track Selector settings. I'll retest.

Update: Yep, I now see exactly the same result as you when I change the Auto Track Selector settings per your video, entirely unpredictable result, ignores playhead, no apparent trim logic applied to video track insert, plus destroys the timeline marker. Even if I explicitly set an In Point it still performs the action at the start of the timeline etc. Only by setting the Track Destination to V1 did it finally respect the in point / playhead position and ripple overwrite predictably. I'm struggling to see any logic in what it's doing ... but then again, ripple overwrite is an edit ostensibly designed to replace an existing clip instance in a timeline with a new clip instance, potentially of different duration, and ripple the timeline accordingly. Here you're targeting a track that doesn't have any media at the overwrite point... result is certainly not what I'd expect to happen, but then who knows what the rules are in that scenario.
Last edited by Andy Mees on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irfanintekhab

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 11:37 pm

Hmm. Let's see if anyone chimes in their thoughts and figure this out. And if it really is a bug, maybe the team can fix this behaviour. As this is completely different than what the manual says (which I am referring to, to learn all the functions and work efficiently. That's how I came across this now)

irfanintekhab

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 11:40 pm

Andy Mees wrote:but then again, ripple overwrite is an edit ostensibly designed to replace an existing clip instance in a timeline with a new clip instance, potentially of different duration, and ripple the timeline accordingly. Here you're targeting a track that doesn't have any media at the overwrite point... result is certainly not what I'd expect to happen, but then who knows what the rules are in that scenario.

You are right in what it's "technically" meant for. However it's also used to just fill in a gap and ripple everything relative to the incoming clip as far as I understood. And this surprisingly occurs if you try to fill the gap after the gaps we are trying to do here.

Andy Mees

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 11:57 pm

Yep, I'm trying to make sense of it but am coming up short.

Return to DaVinci Resolve