creating PIPs in Edit page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JimCurtis

creating PIPs in Edit page

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi, I'm a new Resolve user with vast expertise in Premiere.

I want to create Pictures in Picture without going into Fusion. In Premiere, I can make a new Sequence or Nested Sequence that is square - say 1080 x 1080, put footage in it, pan, zoom, and tilt in the Nest, and use the Nest as a PIP clip in the Pr timeline.

But, when I try this in Resolve, and put the square Timeline in an HD Timeline, the nested/PIP square Timeline displays as 16 x 9, the same aspect ratio as the footage inside it.

This probably has to do with the Timeline Settings for one or both of my Timelines. There are two sets of four scaling options and two Timelines - making 64 possible settings combinations. If somebody knows the right combo so that my square Timeline stays square when in another Timeline, I'd be grateful to know what it is.

Thanks.
MacPro7,1 - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - 256G RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB • ATTO PCIe SAS SCSI RAID6 (8 drives) • OS 12.6.8 • Resolve Studio 18.6.5.7

xunile

Re: creating PIPs in Edit page

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 6:13 pm

You might want to try the Video Collage Fx.

Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

JimCurtis

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 8:37 pm

Thanks for that suggestion, but I've figured out how to make PIPs any aspect ratio I want:

1. Create a new Timeline or Compound Clip.
2, Add a Generator Solid Color to V1.
3. Crop the Solid Color clip to aspect ratio of choice.
4. Apply Inspector > Video > Composite > Composite Mode > Alpha to the Generator Solid Color on V1.
5. Put the video to be matted on V2. Set its Composite Mode to Foreground.
6. Put that Timeline or Compound Clip on V2 in your "master" Timeline.

There's your PIP of any aspect ratio in the Edit page. Theoretically, you can stack as many PIPs as you want and use the Inspector controls to slide, fade, or scale them in and out, and so on. You can also use the Transitions in the Effects tab to animate the on/off or in/out.
MacPro7,1 - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - 256G RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB • ATTO PCIe SAS SCSI RAID6 (8 drives) • OS 12.6.8 • Resolve Studio 18.6.5.7

MattMacar

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 9:52 pm

xunile wrote:You might want to try the Video Collage Fx.

This is the most frustratingly over complicated and inevitably unusable plug-in ive ever come across. The fact that this isn't plug and play is insane.

Actually, the fact that we're not able to do exactly what OP was suggesting is absolutely bananas. Final Cut was able to do this in like V2. Allow us to nest clips to create new "timelines" that maintain their resolutino AND have effing alpha. How the F is this not like number 1 on your list of changes to make. IT makes this software ineligible as a proper finishing editor. I have to go to AFter effects to do the most basic layer-based compositing crap that I don't want to learn the whole bowl of spaghetti that is Fusion for.

SOS.
Macar

CD | DP | PS | PS

M1 MacBook Pro

JimCurtis

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:01 pm

MattMacar wrote:
This is the most frustratingly over complicated and inevitably unusable plug-in ive ever come across. The fact that this isn't plug and play is insane.

I agree, that's not a very useful plug-in.

MattMacar wrote:Actually, the fact that we're not able to do exactly what OP was suggesting is absolutely bananas. Final Cut was able to do this in like V2. Allow us to nest clips to create new "timelines" that maintain their resolutino AND have effing alpha. How the F is this not like number 1 on your list of changes to make. IT makes this software ineligible as a proper finishing editor. I have to go to AFter effects to do the most basic layer-based compositing crap that I don't want to learn the whole bowl of spaghetti that is Fusion for.

SOS.

Read my post, above. It is weird, if you're not used to it, that when you "nest" (a Premiere term) an unusual, let's say "square" shaped Timeline into a 16 x 9 Timeline, the "nested" Timeline's dimensions are ignored.

But, you can get around this by creating a square (or whatever, of your choosing) matte, place that under the "nest," set its Composite setting to Luma / Alpha (or inverted) matte, put your "nested" Timeline above it, and change its Composite mode to Foreground. Then, it should look more like what you get in Premiere.

Also, if you want to do some pan and scanning on any video track in a "nest," you have to repeat the same procedure with another "nested" Timeline.

As you probably know, Premiere's Track Matte effect is a huge joke, because any transform you do on the matted layer transforms the matte with it. That's a behavior few people want, and Adobe has let that go unfixed for longer than Resolve has been an NLE. My main gripe with doing PIPs and split screens in Resolve is the silly way keyframes on Transforms in the Edit page is implemented - how you can only edit keyframes for one parameter at a time, and how Scale and Position have separate controls for X & Y, when Premiere has them combined, which makes a lot more sense, IMO.

Steve Alexander

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 1:10 pm

MattMacar wrote:Actually, the fact that we're not able to do exactly what OP was suggesting is absolutely bananas. Final Cut was able to do this in like V2. Allow us to nest clips to create new "timelines" that maintain their resolutino AND have effing alpha. How the F is this not like number 1 on your list of changes to make. IT makes this software ineligible as a proper finishing editor. I have to go to AFter effects to do the most basic layer-based compositing crap that I don't want to learn the whole bowl of spaghetti that is Fusion for.

SOS.

Is this a copy/paste paragraph from one of your other posts? You're not wrong, but it looks like SPAM.

Are you using the free version of Resolve or the Studio?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Gordonjcp

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 2:48 pm

Why can't you just plop the PIP into V2, then use Zoom and Position to put it where you want, then expand Cropping and knock it down to a square? Am I just not understanding something here? All this using plugins and masking and whatnot sounds needlessly complicated.

JimCurtis

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 2:57 pm

Gordonjcp wrote:Why can't you just plop the PIP into V2, then use Zoom and Position to put it where you want, then expand Cropping and knock it down to a square? Am I just not understanding something here? All this using plugins and masking and whatnot sounds needlessly complicated.

Try it, and see what happens. Then, report what you learned back here.

Gordonjcp

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 3:56 pm

JimCurtis wrote:
Gordonjcp wrote:Why can't you just plop the PIP into V2, then use Zoom and Position to put it where you want, then expand Cropping and knock it down to a square? Am I just not understanding something here? All this using plugins and masking and whatnot sounds needlessly complicated.

Try it, and see what happens. Then, report what you learned back here.

I get a small square video overlaid over the "full screen" video, as I'd expect. It works perfectly, as I'd expect.

What do *you* get, and how does it differ from what I've described?

JimCurtis

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 4:17 pm

I made a New Timeline, 640 x 1080 for a triptych.
I put a 4K clip in it.
I put that 640 Timeline into an HD 1920 x 1080 Timeline as a clip.
The 640 Timeline as a clip in the HD Timeline shows up as 1920 x 1080 - ignoring the dimensions of the 640 Timeline.

Andy Mees

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 4:28 pm

Yep, same... I think Gordon is responding purely to the 'how do i create a PIP' aspect of the question and missing the Bizzarro World aspect of what Resolve gets up to when you actually try using a nested timeline with a custom frame size to do it.

Gordonjcp

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 5:52 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Yep, same... I think Gordon is responding purely to the 'how do i create a PIP' aspect of the question and missing the Bizzarro World aspect of what Resolve gets up to when you actually try using a nested timeline with a custom frame size to do it.

Huh, yeah I had, and that is a bit trippy.

JimCurtis

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 5:56 pm

What the third width (640 x 1080) Timeline lets me to is adjust footage inside it and see what I'll see after I put an alpha or luma matte on the nested Timeline in my master Timeline.

You could also Crop the nested Timeline's left and right parameters to make it a third-width as well, if you can do math. Crop Left 320; crop right 960. That would obviate the need for a track matte.

Return to DaVinci Resolve