How to fill frame when aspect ratio is mismatched?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

magicmoo

How to fill frame when aspect ratio is mismatched?

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 6:05 pm

Hi have lots of clips of 16:9 aspect ratio and I'm putting them onto a timeline which is 2:1 aspect ratio. I want all the clips to fill the frame. When I add them right now, there are black bars on the left and right side. I don't want to have to go and manually adjust the zoom to get rid of the black bars. Is there an easy solution so that the X fills the width of the frame?

I realize that I may have to adjust the Y position for some clips, but I'm fine with that.
Windows 11 | Davinci Resolve Studio 18

Sean Nelson

Re: How to fill frame when aspect ratio is mismatched?

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 6:18 pm

Go to the menu and select "File --> Project Settings". In the Project Settings dialogue box go to the "Image Scaling" section, find "Input Scaling" and change the "Mismatched resolution files" setting to "Scale full frame with crop".

I should mention that there's a per-timeline setting for this as well, so if you're mixing different types of clips you can control it with more granularity than one setting for the entire project. Go to the Timeline Settings and look in the "Output" tab.
Last edited by Sean Nelson on Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

magicmoo

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 7:30 pm

Perfect thanks!

panos_mts

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 7:39 pm

Since you are using the studio version, you can try the smart reframe feature also, Davinci will try to reframe the footage automatically by creating keyframes for the Y position

magicmoo

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 10:14 pm

panos_mts wrote:Since you are using the studio version, you can try the smart reframe feature also, Davinci will try to reframe the footage automatically by creating keyframes for the Y position

Wow, that's very cool.

Return to DaVinci Resolve