Advise request for Mac El Capitan install on mac pro 8 core

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Pete Mitchell

Advise request for Mac El Capitan install on mac pro 8 core

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 4:46 am

Hello, I have a Mac Pro 8 core 3,1 2.8k with 10 gigs of ram and the newest os that it will run is 10.11 (el capitan). I have installed Resolve 12.5.6 which I understand is the correct version for this os. It loads but then crashes as soon as you try to do anything, so I am wondering if this is a realistic scenario.

Upon further reading it appears Resolve uses the GPU not the CPU so maybe having 8 cores doesn't help (?)
It runs FCP well and after effects etc. I use this machine mostly for recording and mixing records.

I am an audio pro with over 30 years experience going back to tape and used to mix movies syncing up multiple 2" transports, but I am a novice with video editing software so your patience is appreciated.

I suspect that Resolve is probably not going to be an easy fit for this machine (?) I get a "No OpenCL Acceleration Hardware Detected!" It has a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT GPU

Is this a realistic endeavor to use this software on this machine?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Advise request for Mac El Capitan install on mac pro 8 c

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 4:59 am

moved to resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Labuhardilla

Re: Advise request for Mac El Capitan install on mac pro 8 c

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi Pete
And good advice, a macpro 3.1 with the specifications described in your post isn’t best workstation for Resolve. Check out the latest apple macbook pro M1pro /max models
Best
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 || FCP || Nuendo 12 || Mac Studio M1 Ultra 64 Gb || monitors BenQ PD2725U and SW271 || Decklink Mini monitor 4K || SE || RME AiOpro || MacOS 13.5.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve