Troubleshooting signal issue Black Magic Mini Monitor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ElliotMSmith

Troubleshooting signal issue Black Magic Mini Monitor

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 7:23 am

I have a black magic UltraStudio mini monitor (thunderbolt 2) that on certain footage is not putting out signal to my 1080p screen, but otherwise almost always works. It appears to occur only on some 29.97 projects created in Resolve 17, but works fine on 29.97 projects created in Resolve 16 and imported into Resolve 17

- For example I've had 3200x1800 ProRes422HQ 29.97 non-drop that wouldn't output to the screen, not when playing clips back from the media pool or creating a new timeline from them. This is from a cut up ProRes Export in a 1080p timeline.
-- However when I open a previously working 23.98 project and create a new timeline and put the same footage in that it shows up on the screen fine. But of course I can't do that because it's 23.98 and I need to output 29.97.
- I have a classic Mac Pro running Resolve 16 over a Decklink Mini Monitor PCI card and it worked on there with the same footage just fine, so that's how I got around that issue during the project.
- I've also run into the same problem with 1920x1080 29.97 Dropframe footage that's ProRes422HQ inside an MXF wrapper, won't show on my screen.
- Appears to only be an issue with 29.97 footage, but I have other 29.97 projects that work ok, like a 1920x1080 ProRes 4444 at 29.97 non-drop (in a different database). Update - I created this project in Resolve 16, imported it into 17 database, and then when I bring in both sets of problematic footage and create timelines in this project they work fine, can color them, no problem at all. Works in Media Pool, works in timeline, colors fine. ????

Signal flow goes like this: 2017 iMac - TB3toTB2 Adapter - BlackMagic Mini Monitor - HDMI cable - TV
(often I'll have the Mini Monitor plugged into a BlackMagic EGPU pro, but I took that out to troubleshoot)
Software: Resolve 17.4.2 Build 9 (orig presented on 17.3.1 Build 5), Desktop Video 12.2.1 (also tried 12.1)

Prior to updating to Resolve 17 and updating the Desktop Video I never had an issue, I stuck around on 16 for a long time. Now it pops up seemingly at random but I'm sure there's a reason for it. I just can't figure out what it is.

Anything I'm missing?
ElliotTheColorist.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve